Difficulty Connecting to Local ADDE Sources

Errors and unexpected results
nolongeractive

Difficulty Connecting to Local ADDE Sources

Post by nolongeractive »

I'm trying to load satellite imagery that I've downloaded and added as a local ADDE dataset in McIDAS-V 1.5b1 (Windows 7 64-bit). However, attempting to "Connect" to this data in the data explorer throws up an error in a dialog box:

"Connecting to server: localhost:8113
Connection reset"

The ADDE data manager says local servers are running on this port, and doesn't hint at any difficulty. I might have overlooked them, but I wasn't able to find previous posts on this forum that seemed to address this exact problem. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Here are the details of the error dialog in case it is useful:

Code: Select all

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
   at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
   at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
   at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(Unknown Source)
   at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddeURLConnection.connect(AddeURLConnection.java:735)
   at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde.AddeURLConnection.getInputStream(AddeURLConnection.java:793)
   at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.checkIfServerIsOk(AddeChooser.java:1272)
   at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.canAccessServer(AddeChooser.java:1333)
   at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.connectToServer(AddeChooser.java:1372)
   at edu.wisc.ssec.mcidasv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.handleConnect(AddeChooser.java:816)
   at ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.adde.AddeChooser.handleConnectFromThread(AddeChooser.java:600)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1215)
   at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1243)
Rick

Re: Difficulty Connecting to Local ADDE Sources

Post by Rick »

Hi Lynx,

Please check the build date of the beta version you installed. This can be done by selecting Help -> About McIDAS-V. If you find the date older than a month, please download a new version. The newer beta versions may trigger some error messages to address you problems. Right now believe there may be firewall issues on your workstation.

Rick
nolongeractive

Post by nolongeractive »

I appreciate your swift reply! My beta was dated 2 January, but I updated to this morning's build anyway just to be sure. No change.

As my firewall is turned off (i.e., the service is disabled completely), I'm unsure how this could be causing problems. But I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

Thank you!!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Lynx,

Pease post your mcidasv.log and we'll see if we can find other possible problems/solutions. You should find the file in your McIDAS-V directory.

Rick
nolongeractive

Post by nolongeractive »

Thank you, Rick! I've attached the log made after the connection error.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Lynx,

Thanks for posting that file. We'd like you to try 2 things.

First, open a command prompt window and change to the directory c:\Program Files\McIDAS-V-System\adde\bin. Now type mcservl.exe. The last line of the output should say Waiting for connections... Let us know if that is the case.

Second, please do a windows search for cygwin*.dll. Multiple copies of these dll files may be the cause of your problem. Let us know what you find.

Rick
nolongeractive

Post by nolongeractive »

Hi Rick,

Trying mcservl.exe, the last line is indeed Waiting for connections..., however in the first few lines of output:

Code: Select all

=> mcservl
     DIR= /cygdrive/c/Program Files/McIDAS-V-System/adde/bin

McIDAS interactive ADDE server

Remote connections blocked

PORT= 8112
<<..snipped..>>

Might the "remote connections blocked" be pertinent to this problem? Or does this just mean that the server process can't be reached from another machine?

With regards to the DLLs, the only one on my machine that seems to meet that filespec is
C:\Program Files\McIDAS-V-System\adde\bin\cygwin1.dll

I assume this is correct?

I hope this offers some insight.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Lynx,

Couple more questions.

1) Can you display remote data?
2) What type of data (local) are you trying to load (grib/AREA ...)?
3) What is the source of the data?
4) Please post the file RESOLV.SRV
5) Please post an example data file.

If the file is too large. Please post the file to our anonymous ftp site:

ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
user anonymous
password {e-mail address}
bin
cd pub/incoming
put {file name}

6) When you started McIDAS-V for the very first time, did you get any messages about mcservl.exe?

Note, we are still trying to figure out what might be causing the message, but the above might provide some useful information.

Rick