Problem displaying GFS 0.5 deg data

Errors and unexpected results
amides28

Problem displaying GFS 0.5 deg data

Post by amides28 »

I have problems displaying total precipitation data in McIDAS, when i choose in field selector "color filled contour plan view" i got a very strange image (see in attached files)
Any help?
Attachments
fail.jpg
Pantallazo.png
jayh

Re: Problem displaying GFS 0.5 deg data

Post by jayh »

Hello-

I am also seeing problems with the precipitation rate grid files for the half degree GFS from our realtime server (Gridded Data -> Remote -> NCEP Model Data). The data doesn't display, but you can see real values when probing the data. I tried other moisture grids like relative humidity and precipitable water and those displayed fine from the same model.

It looks like the navigation parameters are wrong with the lines being drawn across the display.

By looking at your screen shot, I was wondering if you have this grib file local on your machine? If so, could you place it on our ftp site, I'd like to try it here.

ftp ftp.ssec.wisc.edu
login - anonymous
password - your email
cd pub/incoming
bin
put your file here and let me know the filename.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi again-

A quick update… I was able to get my precipitation rate grids to display properly. Initially -V was calculating the data value range and contour interval incorrectly. Once I changed those, I got a nice display without the lines across the display.

Please post your grib file and we'll take a look at it.

Thanks, Jay
amides28

Post by amides28 »

Hi, i post my file: "fh.0006_tl.press_gr.0p5deg" in your ftp but i resolved the problem using McIDAS-V version 1.3!!!! i dont saying "is a bug" but...

Another thing is i am using ATI RADEON video card, and i see too much "errors" like this lines and "spurious map lines" with 1.4 version than 1.3 version, i think is a bug because 1.3 version run smooth.
amides28

Post by amides28 »

Another thing, i discovered if you have a pc with ATI video card and ubuntu YOU DONT USE THE ATI DRIVERS! USE THE DEFAULT DRIVERS!! this works for me.
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hello-

Thanks for the updates on your system.

We got your file and we are displaying it without any problems on our systems here, version 1.4 and our latest testing versions.

Some classes of ATI Radeon cards in the past have had problems rendering McIDAS-V. We encourage all users to update graphics card drivers regularly. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you on Ubuntu Linux. We only have Red Hat Linux here in our testing facility. Our programmer was interested in knowing what default drivers you are referring to that work for you? The integrated graphics card, and it's drivers? Or a different set of ATI drivers? This information is good to have for other future troubleshooting.

I did want to confirm something with you in your last post. Do you have 1.4 working with your grib file now (after your graphics card driver adjustment)? If you are still seeing the problem with 1.4, we'd like you to send us a zipped bundle with the data and broken display when you see the error. You can post it to the ftp site above.

Thanks, Jay