new display tab changes window size

Errors and unexpected results
kbedka1

new display tab changes window size

Post by kbedka1 »

I had been working with some data and had a display of a specific size that I wanted to preserve. When I added a new tab to that display, I thought the new display would conform to the size of the existing window. But instead the window shrunk back to the default size and the display I wanted to preserve was "ruined". I would recommend either that 1) new tabs fit with the existing window size or 2) make it easier for users to recreate previous displays, i.e. center/corner lat/lons, number of lines/pixels in window. I'm a big advocate of #2 as a slip of the mouse can make a previous display unrecoverable which is annoying if you've already created 5 graphics from a particular viewpoint and you slip on your 6th and final one.
hproe

Re: new display tab changes window size

Post by hproe »

One way out of this annoying problem is to:

1) create a "full-screen" view of adequate width x height
2) adjust projection/zoom as required and save with Projections > Viewpoints > Save Current Viewpoint

So, to recreate the work area just go back to your "full-screen" window and select the saved viewpoint. I use this method very frequently. In order to remember the frame size that goes with the viewpoint, you may want to include the numbers in the given name.

HP
bobc

Re: new display tab changes window size

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris and HP -

The problem of the Main Display window resizing itself when a new tab is added is written up as McIDAS-V Inquiry #1558.

I wrote up a new enhancement inquiry for adding the ability to specify display window size and centering location. This is Inquiry #1621. Both of these are possible to do through scripting, where you can use buildWindow(height=xx,width=xx) to specify the height and width of your display, and you can use setCenter(lat=xx,lon=xx) to set the center point of the display.

As HP noted, saving viewpoints can be very helpful in terms of saving lat/lon corner points of your display, but this does not resize the display window. As far as the slip of the mouse issue, there are history buttons on the left side of the Main Display window assuming that you have the default buttons displayed. This is shown in the image on the Main Display Window page of the User's Guide labeled as Viewpoint Undo/Redo. These undo/redo buttons will cycle through changed zoom levels, viewpoints, projections, rotations and translations.

Thanks for the bug report/enhancement request -
Bob Carp