Display Missing in Beta 2 on Windows

Errors and unexpected results
tsavos

Display Missing in Beta 2 on Windows

Post by tsavos »

I tried to install beta 2 in Windows (32-bit) and the display came up blank. It appears that there is a map/navigation there, as I can move the cursor around and retrieve coordinates, as well as change the map projection and even "display" images - but it all shows up blank in the display window. I checked and my maps are not black.

I uninstalled beta 2 and reinstalled beta 1 and the display came up fine. I even updated my graphics driver as suggested and still no display with beta 2. For this system I'm running Windows XP Prof SP3 on Dell laptop Latitude E5400, 2Gb RAM.

-Brian
NOAA/ESPC
tsavos

Re: Display Missing in Beta 2 on Windows

Post by tsavos »

Thanks for the tip, Jay. I had to scale down to 55% to make it work correctly.

-Brian
jayh

Post by jayh »

I'm glad that worked Brian. In our beta2 version of the documentation this anomaly has been added to our FAQ. Yours is the second laptop we've seen this happen on. It seems very random.

For the User community, here is the FAQ entry:

Error #5
When I start McIDAS-V the main display window is blank - there is no map. There are also no errors in the console.

Solution
Try changing your memory to use 1 GB or lower and restart McIDAS-V. You can change the amount of memory used by McIDAS-V by editing the Maximum Heap Size in the Advanced tab of the Preferences by selected Edit->Preferences... from the main menu.

Thanks, Jay
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jay,

I am not sure if this is documented elsewhere, so I chose to note it here. I saw this same behavior on a mac machine (with McIDAS-V version 1.01) this morning. McIDAS-V had been installed in the /Applications directory by the mac admin group. However, when McIDAS-V is run by a user (not admin), the user does not have write permissions to that directory so that their session of McIDAS-V does not have write permission to that directory either. The display is blank, except for the map, the lat/lon and data value can be probed.

The solution was to install McIDAS-V under an Applications directory in the user account (/Users/username/Applications/McIDAS-V-System).

Thanks,
Joleen