bufr files not working anymore under 1.4/1.5beta1

Errors and unexpected results
hproe

bufr files not working anymore under 1.4/1.5beta1

Post by hproe »

Hi -

I am sorry to say that both versions 1.4 and 1.5beta1 (version 1.3 is fine!) do not display bufr-coded files any more. These versions issue 'Creating obs.java.lang.NullPointerException' when wanting to display the 'Point Data' with either 'Point Data Plot' or 'Point Data List'. Find attached a sample file (would need a station model, so for convenience just use 'Point Data List').

HP
Attachments
MSG2-SEVI-MSGCLAP-0000-0000-20080405114500.000000000Z-909574.bfr
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
jayh

Re: bufr files not working anymore under 1.4/1.5beta1

Post by jayh »

Hi HP-

We've tested out your bufr file (and others), and we are seeing the same behavior as you between the versions. Bob narrowed it down to a version change in the ncIDV.jar file included with -V version 1.4. I have written up inq. 1582 for this to be fixed: http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1582

We have sent an email to the netCDF-java and IDV groups at Unidata to alert them of the problem and will be working together to get this updated.

We have done some brief testing with the older ncIDV.jar substituted into the nightly, and it does allow BUFR files to be used in current versions. If you would like that, we can make it available.

Thanks for catching this and we'll update the status of the inquiry as soon as we know more.

Thanks, Jay
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Jay -

Thanks for the effort. Yes please, the old ncIDV.jar would be very much appreciated.

cheers, HP
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi HP-

I've put a ncIdv.jar file for you at ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming, just login anonymously. You can exit -V, rename the current ncIdv.jar in your McIDAS-V-System folder, then put the new one in that directory, and restart -V.

Bob and I have tested this file with our 1.5beta1 and 1.4 builds on Win7-64bit. BUFR data does load. If there are any other problems, let us know.

Thanks, Jay
hproe

Post by hproe »

Jay and Bob -

Just to confirm from my side - it's fine. Waiting for an update, of course.

thanks again, HP
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi -

I am back to displaying BUFR-coded MSG products and see difficulties. I am not sure where we are with this problem. I have noted inquiry #1582 and the recent activity therein.

In current 1.5beta2 builds (and IDV5.0u2) I can open the files and get a list of parameters in the Field Selector. However, when creating e.g. a Value Plot or Point Data List I get an error as below. It would really be great to have correct BUFR-decoding back as it was 1.3.

Season's Greetings, HP

java.lang.NullPointerException
at ucar.nc2.ft.point.standard.NestedTable$CoordVarExtractorVariable.isMissing(NestedTable.java:234)
at ucar.nc2.ft.point.standard.CoordVarExtractor.isMissing(CoordVarExtractor.java:88)
at ucar.nc2.ft.point.standard.NestedTable.isTimeMissing(NestedTable.java:536)
at ucar.nc2.ft.point.standard.StandardPointFeatureIterator.isMissing(StandardPointFeatureIterator.java:77)
at ucar.nc2.ft.point.standard.StandardPointFeatureIterator.makeFeature(StandardPointFeatureIterator.java:69)
at ucar.nc2.ft.point.PointIteratorFromStructureData.hasNext(PointIteratorFromStructureData.java:70)
at ucar.unidata.data.point.PointObFactory.makePointObs(PointObFactory.java:1882)
at ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.makeObs(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:360)
at ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.makeObs(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:322)
at ucar.unidata.data.point.PointDataSource.getDataInner(PointDataSource.java:1297)
at ucar.unidata.data.DataSourceImpl.getData(DataSourceImpl.java:2389)
at ucar.unidata.data.DirectDataChoice.getData(DirectDataChoice.java:332)
at ucar.unidata.data.DataChoice.getData(DataChoice.java:637)
at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:243)
at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.getData(DataInstance.java:207)
at ucar.unidata.data.DataInstance.dataOk(DataInstance.java:295)
at ucar.unidata.data.point.PointDataInstance.init(PointDataInstance.java:83)
at ucar.unidata.data.point.PointDataInstance.<init>(PointDataInstance.java:69)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ObsDisplayControl.doMakeDataInstance(ObsDisplayControl.java:803)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.initializeDataInstance(DisplayControlImpl.java:3278)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.setData(DisplayControlImpl.java:3234)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ObsListControl.setData(ObsListControl.java:441)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.ObsListControl.init(ObsListControl.java:151)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1402)
at ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1085)
at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:986)
at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:911)
at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1243)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi HP,

This problem has been brought to the attention of the netCDF developers and they don't have plans to fix things in the near future. They requested that our developers make the first attempt. I wish I had better news. We'll fill you in as we get more information.

Rick