problem subsetting MODIS 0.25 km data

Errors and unexpected results
Jon

Re: problem subsetting MODIS 0.25 km data

Post by Jon »

I was able to replicate the problem using the file on the FTP server (and I think Kris and I have the same Macbook Pro model/config). One thing to be aware of is that these have two video cards:

• Intel HD Graphics 4000 (512 MB VRAM).
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (1024 MB VRAM).

I noticed two interesting details though:

1. Selecting a smaller subset worked as expected.
  2. When I tried selecting a subset that was fairly close to the actual "size" of the previewed data I apparently became like Neo in the Matrix. I've attached some screenshots of what I saw.

This is how things looked immediately after displaying.
This is how things looked immediately after displaying.

I noticed that the bizarro texture(?) has some structure to it. At the exact same moment the X-Files theme song began to play in the background.
I noticed that the bizarro texture(?) has some structure to it. At the exact same moment the X-Files theme song began to play in the background.

Th-that's a mangled version of this very thread--which I was looking at in Chrome! It's like a visual representation of pointing a pointer at the wrong location (in C or C++).
Th-that's a mangled version of this very thread--which I was looking at in Chrome! It's like a visual representation of pointing a pointer at the wrong location (in C or C++).
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

One think is to make sure that the higher end graphics (not the integrated) is being
used when running McV - not sure how this is determined yet.
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I don't know that mine has the 2nd NvIDIA card, see snapshots from my hardware overview
Attachments
picture 2013-09-25 at 12.33.23 PM.png
picture 2013-09-25 at 12.32.15 PM.png
mhiley

Post by mhiley »

I found a useful app called "gfxCardStatus" that lets you force the system to use integrated/intel or discrete/nvidia graphics mode via a menu bar option:

http://gfx.io

I was able to confirm that the full image displays fine in discrete/nvidia mode but appears corrupted in integrated/intel mode (though not in such an interesting way as Jon's machine!). See screenshots:
Attachments
Not so good with integrated graphics
Not so good with integrated graphics
Image displays fine with discrete graphics
Image displays fine with discrete graphics
Jon

Post by Jon »

The graphics switching stuff is pretty reliable about enabling the discrete graphics card if the current process/application is issuing OpenGL commands…so I'm pretty sure my previous post had the discrete stuff enabled.

However, I went ahead and "forced" the discrete graphics card[1] and have attached the result.

1: Using http://gfx.io/ , which will also tell you whether or not you are using the integrated or discrete card (along with the process that has triggered the discrete card).
Attachments
nvidia.png
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

We'll need to verify that we're not using the version of Java3D which comes with Apple, that
we're using 1.5 or possible 1.6 bundled with McV on Kris and Jon's machine.
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

I did some testing to verify that the multi-tiling (invoked when image exceeds the gpu textureWidth)
and NPOT vs POT texture work correctly. There have been some cases, I've only seen on ATI, where
these properties are incorrectly reported. So we might try some manual settings on the command
line.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yeah, I was poking around the same sorts of things…according to various OpenGL "profilers" I was seeing the bad textures any time the texture width and/or height reached 8192. The driver is saying GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is 16384.
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

Try setting -DtextureWidthMax=8192 on the mcv command line
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

Not sure if it matters here, but this is the java Mc-V is using on my Mac: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java

I tried that setting on the command line but I still was unable to load a large fraction of the 0.25 km image...same error.