Problem on Linux under proxy

Errors and unexpected results
micder

Problem on Linux under proxy

Post by micder »

Hello everyone,
I'm new of this forum. I used McIDAS at the Eumetsat Summer School 2013 and Mike should remember me :) I write you because I found a problem on the Linux version. I'm under a proxy and McIDAS hangs when I'm trying to start it from the command line. In order to start it, I have to disconnect from the net and then I can reconnect to the net after it has been started.

Ciao

Michele
mug_admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem on Linux under proxy

Post by mug_admin »

Hi Michele-

I talked with our system programmer and he thought running with a proxy should still work correctly. -V does a version check each time it is started, we'd like to see if that is causing a problem. You can turn this check off in the user preferences, we'd like you to turn it off and see if you can start with the proxy.

To turn this off, from the main menu choose Edit -> Preferences, then in the User Preferences window choose General. The third option from the top should be "Check for new version and notice on start." Uncheck this option and click OK to dismiss the window. Exit -V, then try restarting with the proxy and let us know if this solves your problem.

Thanks, Jay
micder

Post by micder »

Hi Jay,
sorry for the delay in my response. I disabled the check of the new version, but McIDAS doesn't start yet. I tried to run the strace command in order to understand the place of the hang, but it is not so clear for me. I send you the output of the command, hoping that it could be useful for you:

Bye

Michele

rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [INT CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [INT CHLD], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [INT CHLD], NULL, 8) = 0
clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0x7fa962b889d0) = 11980
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x426d52, [], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, 0x7fa961fbab30}, {SIG_DFL, [], SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, 0x7fa961fbab30}, 8) = 0
wait4(-1,
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hello Michele-

Unfortunately, the strace information isn't telling us about what might be happening with -V.

We have a small *.jnlp file that you can download from the web (testing internet connectivity), and then it will test the java capability on your machine. http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/java3d/ Go to this page and click on the "Hello Universe" link to download the file, then try to run it on your machine and you should see the spinning cube if it is working.

Let us know how that works.

Thanks, Jay
micder

Post by micder »

Hi Jay,
nothing happens: the IcedTeaWeb console hangs.

Bye

Michele
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Michele-

I'm unfamiliar with the IcedTeaWeb console, but I talked with one of our programmers and he said that was a different version of Java that you must have. The programmer suggested running the HelloUniverse.jnlp file with the java we package with McIDAS-V.

Try navigating to .../McIDAS-V-System/jre/bin and running the file with javaws. (e.g. javaws /home/username/HelloUniverse.jnlp) Hopefully you will see the spinning cube. Hopefully these results will point us towards the problem.

Thanks, Jay
micder

Post by micder »

Hi Jay,
sorry for the late response. I followed you instructions but the result was the same: the "HelloUniverse" program hangs. I tried to set the http_proxy and https_proxy environment variables but nothing changed. I think I have to ask to my network administrator.

Bye

Michele
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Michele-

Our systems programmer was wondering if the "Java Webstart" splash screen ever goes away? If not, then Java is having a problem connecting to network resources. He strongly suspects this is the case, and your network admin would have to get involved.

If the Java Webstart appears to download the Hello Universe test successfully (usually indicated by a blue progress bar filling completely from left to right) but fails to run, then he would suspect a Java3D problem on the your machine.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi again-

I received another tip on how to determine if it's network issues or a graphics card issue:

Opening up the terminal, entering the McIDAS-V-System install directory, and typing "./jre/bin/javaws -viewer" should show the "Java Cache Viewer". In the upper-left of the cache viewer, there will be a drop-down next to "Show". Clicking on the drop-down and selecting "Resources" should show whether or not any jar files were downloaded (look for "j3d" or "java3d" things especially).

Thanks, Jay