No CSPP DNB files listed with v1.2

Errors and unexpected results
wstraka

No CSPP DNB files listed with v1.2

Post by wstraka »

Tried to load in some VIIRS Day Night band images from the CIMSS CSPP antenna into v1.2 and I can no longer see the listing of files! I was able to do so with the beta version, but I can no longer do this.

:(
beckys

Re: No CSPP DNB files listed with v1.2

Post by beckys »

Can you send us examples of the files? Also, make sure that you have any geolocation files. I'm pretty sure that if you don't have those, the other files won't be listed either.

- Becky
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/eosdb/npp/v ... _0650/sdr/

And I know there is data, because we were able to make the AWIPS files from it (upper right corner)

But I wanted to use the data to make something in McIDAS-V!
Attachments
DNB_Feature_20120509_0651Z_multi.png
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

It appears there is something wonky with the I-bands too. See screen shot

BTW, it appears to be ONLY the data from CSPP. The stuff from the PEATE seems to be ok.
Attachments
McIDAS-V_issue.png
beckys

Post by beckys »

William,

I sent this off to Tommy and he said that he'd look at it to see what was happening.

- Becky
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

This is not likely a McV problem. The DB files are probably in a state of flux,
and they've broken the spec compliance.
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

From what I can tell, the CSPP files are actually in the same format (i.e. the data is organized the same way) as the PEATE/CLASS files. The reason I say this is that both types of files can be read with our python reader (which we use to conglomorate the files for AWIPS) with no problem and no changes. And since I-band data is at least present (though not navigated) in the file listing, that also suggests that they are at least somewhat similar. Also, a completely independent reader, written in FORTRAN, also has no problem with either the PEATE or CSPP files. So that is two readers that can read both PEATE and CSPP files with no problems. And my understanding is that the CSPP files are the same as the PEATE files.

Either way, Tommy already contacted me and we're going to work on this tomorrow.
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

Of course the files are very similar, array names, attributes, etc, but McV follows
the control specification closely, maybe a little too closely, which also includes
reading of some metadata from xml files. If the files are greyed-out, McV didn't
recognize them as NPP. I have a lot of CSPP files which do work, so this is
related to a recent change in the DB processing.
tommy.jasmin

Post by tommy.jasmin »

Folks - Tom Rink is correct - the CSPP files have changed and are not following spec.
They do not have the global attribute needed to identify the appropriate geolocation granule.

An example of what I'd expect to see in the granule metadata:

:N_GEO_Ref = "GDNBO_npp_d20120111_t0730417_e0732059_b01063_c20120111140955533504_noaa_ops.h5";

Whoever controls creation of these granules needs to be notified - this is a key attribute that must be present
in all data granules to meet spec.
wstraka

Post by wstraka »

Ok, the issue is two fold, it looks like

1). N_GEO_Ref attribute is not in the DNB file.
2). While the N_GEO_Ref is in the I and M Bands, it points to the non-terrain corrected geolocation files, and those don't exist on the FTP server.

Now, is there a way for the I-Bands to point to the terrain corrected (more correct) navigation?