dateline?

Errors and unexpected results
TJS

dateline?

Post by TJS »

Hi,

I did a radiance time difference (from served GOES data ch 3) in mcidas-V. The dateline showed up as missing. I could minimize the missing data but increasing the 'texture' to high, but it's still there.

Similar image differences in mcidas-X didn't have this issue.

Thanks,
TJS
Attachments
McIDAS-X time difference image.
McIDAS-X time difference image.
McIDAS-V time difference image. Note dateline seems to be missing.
McIDAS-V time difference image. Note dateline seems to be missing.
bobc

Re: dateline?

Post by bobc »

Hi Tim -

There is an option in the Advanced User Preferences for 'Enable access to image data by reference'. From your attached image, I believe that you do not have this option selected. Check the box for this item, and hit Apply/Ok. Note that you will need to restart McIDAS-V for any changes in the advanced preferences to take effect. You can get to the User Preferences window by selecting Edit->Preferences in the Main Display window.

As noted on the User Preferences->Advanced page:
Enable access to image data by reference - Sets the "visad.java3d.imageByRef" property to true and improves the rendering of satellite imagery in the satellite's native projection, removing the jagged edges at the limb and/or gaps at the dateline that sometimes appear in displays of image data. It is recommended that this option be checked.

If this does not solve the problem of missing data at the dateline, please let me know.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
kaba

Post by kaba »

Bob,
That sounds like a very great feature worth being set.
Over the years, I have come across similar great options in McIDAS-V that often defaults
to lower qualities than what would be ideal. Hence user always had to go figure out how to
go change those settings.
A similar example is when doing a simple band difference, the Display defaults to something
like "Image display" under imagery instead of the recommended "Color-Shaded plan view"
under plan Views.

It seems to me the default settings should be more like the a color shaded plan view
that is not missing a date line etc by default. Instead of what we currently have.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kaba and Tim -

The 'Enable access to image data by reference' option actually is checked on by default when you first install McIDAS-V.

As for your second note, I agree that there are a few things in McIDAS-V that automatically don't default to their ideal settings (display types, as you noted for example). I will begin taking notes of these as I come across them, and write up an inquiry to get them fixed. You noted that you have seen other options in McIDAS-V that do not default to the ideal settings either. If you get a chance, can you provide me with a list of these items? That way I can write up an inquiry for them and see about getting them fixed.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -

Just to make sure that this is included in your list:
Imagery > Three Color (RGB) Image (Auto-scale) defaults to Omni Control and not to more "natural" RGB Composite.

This might be slightly more complex: the formula actually has RGB Composite selected as the only display type.

HP
kaba

Post by kaba »

Bob,
I will try and compile what I remembered at some point ans send it to you. But I am glad others are contributing as well.

Another one I can think about off head is the default "Label display". When you load an image out of a file
instead of labeling it as the "filed" or "variable" you have selected, it try's to display the full name of the file instead
with the chosen displayed view attached to it. "eg Color-Shaded plan View". This looks very mushy when you have
a file with a long name or multiple files with similar names.
I would think defaulting to the variable or field you just displayed would be lot more helpful.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi HP and Kaba -

I have written up McIDAS-V Inquiry #1203 to cover the formulas that do not default to the correct display type.
http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/in ... quiry=1203

I also noticed that the display type used for the formulas is carried over from the last formula that you selected, meaning that a lot of the formulas initially default correctly, but that default can be changed by selecting different formulas. I included this in the inquiry.

Kaba: I agree that the default label display should be more clear and show the variable/field you are displaying. A similar request was made in July, 2009, and is written up as McIDAS-V Inquiry #528. Because this hasn't been looked at for a while, I will bring this up at our next team meeting and see if it is something we want to consider looking at. I also added your comment to the request of this inquiry.
http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/in ... nquiry=528

Thanks for the ideas!
Bob Carp