McIDAS-V on Ubuntu 22.04

Errors and unexpected results
henryb

McIDAS-V on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by henryb »

HI there,
Have recently upgraded Ubuntu on my machine from 17.04 -> 22.04.
and now MCIDAS-V 1.8 is not working properly. It starts up but doesn't display any of the default maps nor display a basic contour map from netCDF data.

I had a look at some of the programs in adde/bin and notice that some of these binaries require libgfortran.so.3, which is not present in the McIDAS-V distribution (but libgfortran.so.1 is ). i manually added libgfortran.so.3 but it made no difference. So now I don't know what to try ?

.....Henry
bobc

Re: McIDAS-V on Ubuntu 22.04

Post by bobc »

Hi Henry,

I don't have a Ubuntu machine to test on my end, so I can't reproduce the problem here. Here are a few quick things you can try:
  1. I would make sure that your video/graphics drivers are up to date. This is generally the issue when there are display problems.
  2. Try starting McIDAS-V with the -tempuserpath flag:

runMcV -tempuserpath

This will start McIDAS-V as if it were the first time it was run on your machine. Does this work?
  3. With McIDAS-V running, go to Edit > Preferences. Go to the Advanced Preferences. Change the log level to TRACE. Restart McIDAS-V with runMcV from a Terminal (the way you normally do). Try displaying the netCDF data. In your McIDAS-V directory, you should see a mcidasv.log file. Please send this to us, as it may give more clues as to what is going wrong.
  4. The first question on the Using McIDAS-V FAQ page gives some steps on what to do if McIDAS-V won't work on your machine. I'd follow these steps and see how things go. I'd be particularly interested in the results of trying step 2, the Java 3D example.
Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
henryb

Post by henryb »

Hi Bob,
Many thanks for your assistance.
It turns out that I was using the generic open source Ubuntu driver - xserver-xorg-video-nouveau for my Nvidia 1060 card.
I switched over to the proprietary nvidia -510 and now McIDAS-V works fine
Regards Henry
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Henry,

Great! I'm glad that you were able to get McIDAS-V running correctly.

Thanks for following up,
Bob