McIDAS-V version1.8 in windows does not display correctly MSG HRIT images calibrated in BRIT or BT or REFL.

Errors and unexpected results
Miguel A. Martinez

McIDAS-V version1.8 in windows does not display correctly MSG HRIT images calibrated in BRIT or BT or REFL.

Post by Miguel A. Martinez »

Hi,
We have in AEMET archived wavelet decompressed HRIT files.

Then local ADDE dataset are defined pointed to directory with the HRIT files and it is selected the type HRIT_FD or HRIT_HRV (depending on the case).

In version1.8 installed on Windows10 (also in WindowsXP) when click on "add data source" does not appear the description of the channels. When created the image display on BRIT or BT appear black with out space in white. When it is selected calibration "raw" or "radiance" the image are displayed correctly.

Some HRIT files with Linux version1.8 works fine. When click on "add data source" appears correctlly the description of the MSG channels from the SATBAND file. When created the image display on BRIT or BT calibrationd the image are displayed correctly.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel A. Martinez (AEMET)
jayh

Re: McIDAS-V version1.8 in windows does not display correctly MSG HRIT images calibrated in BRIT or BT or REFL.

Post by jayh »

Hi Miguel-

I have been checking a variety of MSG HRIT files we have in our testing data directories on our Windows 10 machine. We have compressed, uncompressed, and rapid-scan files and so far I have not been able to replicate the error. The servers on the Windows 10 machines are a little older than the servers in the Linux package due to some limitations that are preventing the update. It's possible the Linux machines are reading the data correctly, and the Windows 10 machine would not.

Is it possible for you to send us some files that are showing the error, or place them somewhere for me to grab?

Thanks, Jay
Miguel A. Martinez

Re: McIDAS-V version1.8 in windows does not display correctly MSG HRIT images calibrated in BRIT or BT or REFL.

Post by Miguel A. Martinez »

Dear Jay,

When you commented in the answer that the servers on the Windows 10 machines are a little older than the servers in the Linux package then I have tested with HRIT files from MSG-4 and MSG-3.

The problem is limited to the MSG-4 (actual METEOSAT-11) HRIT files; when in the directory where ADDE dataset is linked contains only HRIT MSG-4 files the ADDE servers does not work.

When in the directory are HRIT files from MSG-3 the MSG ADDE server works correctly; even with a mix of MSG-3 and MSG-4 HRIT files the ADDE server works fine. The trick we are using done is add a PRO HRIT file from MSG-3 to work.

As you commented, I have put in a Google drive two tar files, one tar file with HRIT file from MSG4 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yRhrmu ... sp=sharing) (two images 20210709 at 09:00Z and 12:00Z) and other tar with the ones from MSG-3 (one image 20160626 at 1200Z) link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x1XhgV ... sp=sharing).

Also I have found that the SATBAND file has only entry for MSG-1, MSG-2 and MSG-3 (51 to 53) but it has not the 54 for MSG-4 (to add this to SATBAND only don’t correct the bug).
::::
Sat 51 52 53
Cal MSG
:::

Sorry for the delay to answer and thanks in advance,
Miguel-Angel Martinez
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your data files. Here is a summary of my testing results:
  • On macOS:
    • I verified MET3 and MET4 FD and HRV data works on my macOS machine, which has the same local servers as Linux. I get the descriptive band listing and the displays are correct.
  • On Windows:
    • I verified that MET3 FD and HRV data list and display correctly
    • I was able to display the MET4 HRV data correctly, though the descriptive band listing wasn't in the Field Selector.
    • MET4 FD data did not have the descriptive band listing and it did not display correctly either (either solid black or white dependent on band/calibration)
As far as SATBAND, Meteosat11 is actually listed under "Sat 354". This is in the SATBAND file on both Windows and macOS/Linux platforms. The numbers are a bit out of order in SATBAND for the Meteosat satellites, so I understand the confusion. Just for reference:
  • Meteosat 3 = # 54
  • Meteosat 4 = # 55
  • Meteosat 5 = # 56
  • Meteosat 6 = # 57
  • Meteosat 7 = # 58
  • Meteosat 8 = # 51
  • Meteosat 9 = # 52
  • Meteosat 10 = # 53
  • Meteosat 11 = # 354
The oddities that we're seeing on Windows stems back to the local servers on Windows being a good bit older than those on macOS and Linux. There is an active effort to modernize the servers with one of the eventual end goals being to update them on Windows, but I don't yet have a timeline on when this work will be completed.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services