Field names in the Field Selector for hdf and netcdf files

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

Field names in the Field Selector for hdf and netcdf files

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I recently received two different versions of a hdf file from a colleague. The first version had no long name descriptors, so the name of the array was displayed in the Field of the Field Selector . When long names were added, the long names were used. Is there a way to specify that I would like to see both the long name and the array name for the field description? I realize these files have slightly different fields in them. However, it is just to illustrate the point.

Joleen
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-08-03 at 2.58.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-08-03 at 2.58.08 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-08-03 at 2.57.01 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-08-03 at 2.56.02 PM.png
jayh

Re: Field names in the Field Selector for hdf and netcdf files

Post by jayh »

Hi Joleen-

That is an interesting request. I'm not sure about the programming effort behind this, but I've written up this inquiry for Evaluation...

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1086

Unfortunately I do not know of a workaround at this time.

Thanks, Jay
tomw

Post by tomw »

If you "hover" the mouse pointer (cursor) over the name displayed in the Field Selector, then the name of the variable in the file will appear as a "tooltip" along with the "long_name"...does that address your need?
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Tom,

Sorry, I did not hold my cursor still for long enough to see that feature. I also noticed if I selected a field and did a right+click, the variable name was listed.

I like Kathy's latest version of the file where the variable name is also listed in the long name.

Joleen
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 10.39.13 AM.png