L1b read capability in file system browser

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
wstraka

L1b read capability in file system browser

Post by wstraka »

Right now, the only way to read in the NOAA L1b files is via an ADDE server. Can we have the ability to read in the L1b from the filel system bowser??
beckys

Re: L1b read capability in file system browser

Post by beckys »

William -

We're currently working on making it so that anything that is accessible via the local ADDE servers is also available through the file chooser. This is not a small feat, but there is a programmer currently working on it.

- Becky
hproe

Post by hproe »

My first reaction to this feature request was "cannot see why I would need this". But now I have hit the (fire)wall. While preparing for my McV tutorial at end of May here at EUMETSAT I encountered the request for port 8112 by the local servers (MSG HRIT, MOD02, Metop AVHRR 1b). The training has to use the training infrastructure of EUMETSAT that is integrated in the Office Network. So no way of getting port 8112 opened (and having a recent video driver loaded - spurious line on the maps).

In other words. now I fully support the request to eliminate the need for local ADDE servers. This would open the way to use such local data sets also in very restricted environment.

HP
beckys

Post by beckys »

HP -

I think we would still use the ADDE servers "under the hood", it would just be more transparent to users.

I'll let Dave respond about port 8112.

- Becky
tomw

Post by tomw »

The main reason to use local ADDE servers was to allow for the server to provide navigation and calibration, since not all this code can be ported to "pure Java" in any reasonable time (or cost). I believe the idea Becky is talking about still uses ADDE, but "hides" it so that you can think of it as a file system.

Unless I'm mistaken, though, this would not help HP's problem of not being able to use port 8112 for local access -- that would need something different....
davep

Post by davep »

HP, the local servers will try to bind to port 8112 when McIDAS-V is started, and some operating systems have software firewalls which will require Administrator access to open the port. The external network configuration (routers/hubs etc) should not affect the ability of McIDAS-V to connect to the local port 8112. This method of having McIDAS-V "talk to itself" over a port is necessary because of the separation between the C/Fortran-based servers and the Java client, and allows McIDAS-X ADDE servers to be included in -V with no modification whatsoever, allowing us to leverage all the work done in -X (eg calibration/navigation that Tom mentioned).