Retain current center and zoom when loading data

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

Retain current center and zoom when loading data

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

A button which locks the current viewpoint would be nice when using loading data from multiple data sources. Right now, it is possible to use "Projections>Viewpoints>Save the current viewpoint" and then restore it later. However, that requires extra steps and it would be nicer to have an option in the user preferences or on the display legend which allows the user to either retain current center and zoom regardless or the data that is loaded or choose to allow the viewpoint to be redisplayed each time new data is loaded.

Thanks,
Joleen
beckys

Re: Retain current center and zoom when loading data

Post by beckys »

I think turning off Auto-set Projection should do what you're trying to do. You can set it globally in the preferences or for the current session in the Projections menu.
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Becky,

I tried that and it did not work. The display still shifted to the center of the most recently loaded data.

Joleen
beckys

Post by beckys »

If you're using bundles, there is a known bug with bundles and Auto-Set Projection. The current (incorrect) behavior seems to be:

If you load a bundle, it loads the Auto-Set Projection preference from the bundle and overrides your session with that value. It does not reflect this change in the preferences or in your Projections menu, and does not always allow you to change it.

We're working on a fix, but don't have one yet.

If you didn't use any bundles within this session, then there might be another problem. Start a new McIDAS-V session and let me know exactly what you're doing to get the problem with Auto-Set Projection. I'll see what I can find.

- Becky
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Becky,

Loaded McIDAS-V 1.01beta1.
Selected Projections>Auto-set Projection to turn off the auto-set feature.
Select Projections>Predefined>US>West>Texas
From the data sources grab the 2 most recent GOES east NH data.
In the Field Selector, use 3.9 micron Temperature data from the 2nd most recent image. To Illustrate the problem, select a region which includes the northern portion of Texas but extends even further north. (i.e. image size of 63x36, centered at 39.9, -102.3, mag=-3, -6).

The display will re-center on the data. If I load new data slightly to the east, the display shifts again.

Joleen
beckys

Post by beckys »

Do you have the Default Layout set to load (in the Advanced Preferences)?

If I have that option checked, then I see the behavior that you're seeing (which actually makes sense, because the Default Layout is a simple bundle).
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

This was the problem. I don't understand why this bundle's behavior should override the Auto-Set Projection for each session. This must be annotated in the help under Auto-Set Projection if this remains the default operating behavior.

As a user, this scenario would be more useful:
1.) Default Layout Bundle does not affect later changes made in each session.
2.) The Auto-Set Projection is brought to the front so the user can easily switch between modes in a session. Possible locations for a check box would be an optional addition to "Edit>Preferences>Toolbar Options," or a check box button on the legend and in the Layer Controls>Settings or a check box on the left toolbar.

Thank you for helping find the solution.
Joleen
beckys

Post by beckys »

Hi, Joleen -

Like I said Monday, this is definitely a bug with bundles and Auto-Set Projection. It is not the desired behavior. And until I started looking into it, I didn't realize that it was affected by Default Layout as well.

I like the idea of making Auto-Set Projection more exposed, too. We'll look into that as well.

- Becky

There was already an inquiry written for this, and I added this forum to the inquiry as well:

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/in ... nquiry=913