variable name in cursor readout

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
kbedka1

variable name in cursor readout

Post by kbedka1 »

my colleague here was getting cursor readout data with apple key - right click, the readout data shows the filename, the display type (ie. color shaded plan view), and the data value. It omits possibly the most important piece of info, the parameter name. When several displays were loaded, it was tough to tell which parameter each of the cursor readouts were associated with. It would be helpful, especially in the case of NetCDF files, if the NetCDF long name were included in the readout info
joleenf

Re: variable name in cursor readout

Post by joleenf »

Kris,

This is a good addition to this forum post and I would like to see your suggestions added to the inquiry.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323&p=742&hilit=data+readout#p742
barryr

Post by barryr »

Thanks Kris and Joleen.

I added McIDAS-V inquiry 959 (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=959) for this request.

Barry
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

Has there been progress on this inquiry? I see a note from last March about checking on the IDV format for this middle mouse button key. The IDV uses the %shortname%, which does hold more information about what is being display, if the user is aware of satellite source numbers. It seems that McIDAS-V defaults to %datasourcename% - %displayname% for the legends, layer labels, and cursor readout. I have found this to be an advantage when I remember to change the %datasourcename% before loading. However, I often forget and it is an extra step. Consequently, it can be very difficult to know which value applies to which dataset because they may all be listed as "CONUS - GOES13 Continental US... ImageDisplay" Is it difficult to change the default to the %shortname% %datasourcename% until a better solution is found?

Kris, TJS: the %shortname% would be something like 180_BAND1_BRIT for satellites, but for hdf files, it could be something like TSurfStd. Not all cases will be well handled by the %shortname%. In fact, the %datasourcename% is the better information to use for netCDF and hdf files. Ideas for the default and for the location of changing the default if needed?

Thanks,
Joleen
Last edited by joleenf on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

I would say that the display name is not very informative and should be replaced with short_name. So a combo of data_source_name and short_name would probably be best. I initially thought that the NetCDF long name would be good here, but I did not consider differences between HDF/AREA/NetCDF/etc... How would all of this work if someone were to load a flat binary file? Would the user need to supply a short_name when they load the file?
TJS

Post by TJS »

I agree that the short name makes more sense, given that this is for labeling (and I happen to know that some of the long names get really long)! :)

TJS
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Kris,

I don't know the exact answer to the binary file question. The shortname is the first name that you see when you hover over the field in the "Fields" column of the Field Selector.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 9.11.13 AM.png
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi everyone -

I definitely agree that there should be a better description of the field that you are probing. I also believe that a combination of %datasourcename% - %shortname% would be the best option. We are going to have a programmer look into this over the next couple of weeks to determine what type of an impact changing this label would have on displaying different types of data. I have added a little more information to the inquiry to include an example of how this is currently written out in McIDAS-V, the IDV, and with the 'datasourcename - shortname' suggestion.

Thanks for the ideas!
Bob Carp
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Bob,

I like the idea which has been added to the inquiry of adding a place for the user to change the default in their preferences. Also, if there is a possibility of adding a "Setting" tab or a location to change the default just before loading, that would also be very useful. How would I use these options?

In my Edit>Preferences>Display Settings>Layer List Properties, I might have the default set to %datasourcename% - %shortname%. This will generally work when I am loading satellite data, but if I load GRIB data, I might want to change the setting to %longname% just before I load.

Thanks,
Joleen
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

I like your idea of being able to set the different labels before you create the display. I can see this being useful for a variety of reasons. This suggestion has been added to the inquiry.

Thanks -
Bob