difference between color shaded plan and image display

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
kbedka1

difference between color shaded plan and image display

Post by kbedka1 »

What is the difference between these two display types. When I bring in my own NetCDF data, I am presented with color shaded plan. When I bring data in via ADDE, I see Image Display. The resulting graphic from the two appears identical.
barryr

Re: difference between color shaded plan and image display

Post by barryr »

Hi Kris,
I checked into this a bit and was told that you're correct - for this type of netCDF data the output is essentially the same whether it's displayed via the Color-Shaded Plan View or via the Image Display.

The only difference is in how you load the file: When done through ADDE it's considered an image and is thus offered as Image Display; when done locally via the General Files chooser, the netCDF file is considered grid data and is thus offered Plan View displays (like Contour Plan View and Color-Shaded Plan View).

Barry
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

thanks, if I may offer a suggestion, it would probably be helpful to a new user if only one of the two options were available. Several people that I have encountered here have asked me about the difference between the two, which indicates some confusion.
barryr

Post by barryr »

Thanks, Kris.

I moved this thread from the General Questions forum to the Feature Requests forum, and wrote it up as McV inquiry 947:
http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=947