Map Display “Legend”

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
kaba

Map Display “Legend”

Post by kaba »

Each time we load an image,
(a)It shows up with either the rainbow color or the gray scale color bar in the “Legend”.
(b) Instead of displaying the product name in the “Legend” it displays the file name
(e.g test01.nc - color shaded plan view).
(c) The range for the colors displayed for each image always shows the min value and max value for each file
(eg. 0.98 to 13.8 instead of 0 to 33 which is what i have defined it to be as the “valid_range” inside my netcdf file)

While we can go and change each of these one way or the other, It becomes very time consuming and routine work to have
to change all these variables for every single product for every time period one has to display.
We would greatly appreciate a way to assign a specific color bar to a particular band or product,
valid ranges and image title without having to do all this things for each single file each time.

Please see attached image. Click on it to magnify.
Attachments
mcdiasv-legend-improvements01.png
tomw

Re: Map Display “Legend”

Post by tomw »

kaba wrote:Each time we load an image,
(a)It shows up with either the rainbow color or the gray scale color bar in the “Legend”.

The default depends on whether the display control thinks it understands what the parameter is -- it then selects the color table and "range rules" accordingly.

(b) Instead of displaying the product name in the “Legend” it displays the file name

You have some control over this in the Display Control properties....but we'll have to check on the exact issue. However, normally the display should be for the field you selected in the Field Selector.

(c) The range for the colors displayed for each image always shows the min value and max value for each file
(eg. 0.98 to 13.8 instead of 0 to 33 which is what i have defined it to be as the “valid_range” inside my netcdf file)

If you want to set a default range (and also a default colortable) for your parameter, then I recommend using the Parameter Defaults settings -- there you can name you parameter (even using wildcards) and specify your desired defaults. These defaults will persist from session-to-session, so you will not have to re-enter them each time.

The "valid_range" is only used by the netcdf library routines to determine what values are "missing" in your data.

While we can go and change each of these one way or the other, It becomes very time consuming and routine work to have
to change all these variables for every single product for every time period one has to display.
We would greatly appreciate a way to assign a specific color bar to a particular band or product,
valid ranges and image title without having to do all this things for each single file each time.

And that is why the Parameter Defaults was created.....
kaba

Post by kaba »

TW
Thanks for the response to this e-mail.
The "Parameter Defaults" tab was basically what I was looking for in this case.
It worked out just fine for the issues mentioned above except for (b).

Is there a way to set this in a similar way as above so McIDAS will remember it next time I load the same band.
As of right now the only way i know is by going through: "layer control" => "edit" =>" properties" for each band each time i start McIDAS-V.
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Regular expression can be used to help describe the parameter for which a certain color bar should be applied. For instance, if all band 11 brightness temperatures have a special color bar, the parameter default could be
[0-9]+_Band11_TEMP

Where the value at the beginning is representing the satellite sensor number. I have tested this for the GOES satellites and it seems to work. However, regular expressions are not my strength, so this example may be best used as a guide/suggestion.
Joleen