"PRDUTIL" functionality for McIDAS-V

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
kaba

"PRDUTIL" functionality for McIDAS-V

Post by kaba »

We need the ability to separate data from clouds by assigning a color bar at least two different scales.
Similar to the "PRDUTIL" functionality in McIDAS-X
(e.g With a color bar going from 0-255, we want to be able to assign 0 to 200 => +25 to 15 and then 201 to 255 a different scale.
As it is right now we are only able to assign only one scale eg 0-255 assigned to +25 to -15).

Please see attached screen shot. Click on Image to magnify.
Attachments
mcdiasv-color bar01.png
tomw

Re: "PRDUTIL" functionality for McIDAS-V

Post by tomw »

Are you saying that within a single AREA file "band", you have more than one parameter stored? The data model used in McV does not accommodate this; if that is true, you would need to separate out the values into different "bands" or AREA files.

I am aware that Mc-X allows for this type of "product", but if you have some data with physical units (like temperature, as it seems in your example?), then you must not do this.

If you simply want to generate separate color scales for sub-divisions of the range of 0:255, but do not need to attribute physical units to these "sub-scales" then you can do this, although the current colorbar is not designed to accommodate this.....although it potentially could be changed to allow you to specify arbitrary "labels" that have nothing to do with the actual data values. You would also need to store your data as 0:255, and not assign units.

(I must add that years ago, I warned people against this practice when we first encountered difficulties because of this very thing.....obviously these concerns were ignored.....).
kaba

Re: "PRDUTIL" functionality for McIDAS-V

Post by kaba »

Tomw

If I understand your response right i think we want the second case you metioned.

"If you simply want to generate separate color scales for sub-divisions of the range of 0:255, but do not need to attribute physical units to these "sub-scales" then you can do this, although the current colorbar is not designed to accommodate this.....although it potentially could be changed to allow you to specify arbitrary "labels" that have nothing to do with the actual data values. You would also need to store your data as 0:255, and not assign units."

Bsically we need the ability to separate data from clouds by assigning a color bar in such a way that
" 0 to 200" is assigned to "+25 to 15" and then "201 to 255" a different scale, eg "300 to 500"