Looping between spectral bands

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
TJS

Looping between spectral bands

Post by TJS »

I understand we are still at beta, but I need to use the 'vcr' buttons to 'loop' between different spectral bands (although at one given time)? Right now it has to be "view/displays/animation/on". But then we have to make sure which label and bar are shown, etc.

Thanks.
Rick

Re: Looping between spectral bands

Post by Rick »

This is being developed under inquiry:

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=460
TJS

Post by TJS »

Hi,

Any update on this request?

Using the vcr buttons for looping say, between an image and a derived product (for that time) is very important. Being restricted to only 'time' loops doesn't allow 'spectral' movies, or say, comparing one time period with various amounts of noise, comparing images to products, comparing various versions of the same product, etc.

Thanks,
TJS
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Tim-

Unfortunately I don't have any news for you. The request would require large changes to the way -V handles times/loops/etc. So, there has not been any development in this area.

I was looking at your original post and wanted to mention that you can have a bar on each image if you wish. If you right click on the data source name in the Display Legend, then choose Edit -> Properties. Then choose the Color Scale tab and check the "Visible" checkbox. Then a bar will be on each image in your display animation.

Thanks, Jay
TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks,

1) Could there even just be 'vcr' controls on the legend. This was the speed of the 'visibility animation' could be better controlled. Note that the functionality must exist given that these images can be 'looped' with the 'visibility animation' (under view / displays).

2) On a related note, I tried to save a movie (of the 'visibility animation'), but first didn't get the images I wanted, since the 'capture' rate was about the same as the animation rate. (BTW, the 'visibility animation' doesn't tell the speed, just a 'faster' or 'slower'.) Plus, when I captured at a 1 sec rate, I got a blank image in the movie. Plus, one of the frames didn't have the label, but said "please wait...." :(

Please see attached for 4 of the 6 images that made up the movie. {Actually, only 3 are attached -- that's the limit.}

TJS
Attachments
Note lack of image!
Note lack of image!
Note lack of label
Note lack of label
TJS_image_002_2010_09_16_11_45_GMT.jpg
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Tim-

1. I've added this request to inq. 460, and let the managers know about the additional request. (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=460)

2. This is due to the movie capture using the system screen shots to make the movies. It's probably a system to system limiting thing, where a fast computer may have better luck in making a better movie. I looked through the inquiry system and forums and didn't find any tips or tricks to do this better. The inquiry for this is 801 and is still in evaluation. (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=801) So, I've added your problems to that inquiry.

If you have any further questions, just let us know.

Thanks, Jay