Latitude on cross-section plots

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
kbedka1

Latitude on cross-section plots

Post by kbedka1 »

See attached figure, it would be very helpful to have the latitude/longitude listed along the X-axis of the cross-section in the top panel (created in Mc-V), rather than (or in addition to) this distance along transect. Other plots created in IDL/matlab use latitude (see bottom 2 panels)...it's hard to compare between the Mc-V plot and the other two plots.

Also, as I've suggested quite a few times, an improvement in the font weight/size/quality and tick mark controls, and ability to adjust axis labeling for these cross-sections is much needed.
Attachments
Picture 80.png
jayh

Re: Latitude on cross-section plots

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

Thanks for your request for this enhancement for lat/lon labels on transects. I've written it up for evaluation in inquiry 737: http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=737

Regarding the general enhancement of the cross section and transect displays. Those will be included in the larger effort of improving these and other similar displays. This type of lower-level programming will take a longer period of time.

Thanks for the requests and comments.

-Jay
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

I agree with Kris, is would be really helpful to have the latitude/longitude listed along the x-axis. In this case, it would also be helpful to pinpoint an exact location, since this is the model data surrounding the occurrence of a tornado in Branson, Missouri. A few requests, the most important are aspects which cannot be fixed in an image editor after the image is saved in McV.

test.gif

1.) It is nice to be able to set a full screen dimension for the cross section in the Layer Controls Edit>Properties>Cross Section but the change does not apply since there is no full screen mode for the layer control display. The final image is something like 553x852.
Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 10.31.13 AM.png

2.) Saving the cross section is nice, in the Layer Controls View>Cross Section>Capture>Image, but this is an unexpected location. Does it need to be one layer deeper than the main display? I would have expected that from the layer control, if I am saving that display for that layer, it would be View>Capture>Image from within that Layer Control.

3.) I like the color bar, it would be nice to have an option to add units and data type information (annotate) to the color bar. Can be done in a image editor, but it is best to get that information automatically from the data file, which should then be done from McIDAS-V.

4.) Control of the number of ticks for the color bar is another capability that is needed.

5.) I want control of the font and number of ticks for both the x and y axis and labels.

6.) I want to control the thickness of the x and y axis lines and tickmarks.

7.) I would like the y-axis to be displayed as pressure rather than altitude. (Is there a way to do this right now?)

8.) I could not get the display label to be black, even though it seemed that I had it set to black in both the Edit>Preferences for the main display, and in the Layer Controls Edit>Properties>Settings of the layer label. I did not realize that the actual control for this was in Layer Controls Edit>Properties>Cross Section Display List. Confusing, especially since the text comes from the layer label.

9.) Clip View at Box fails. I like that I can change the scale of the y-axis for the cross section only using the Layer Control, Settings Tab, Vertical Scale Option. This feature was unexpected, because I thought it would change in the main display as well.
Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 10.53.11 AM.png

cross_section_clipviewfail.jpg

9.) Finally, when I save images individually, I can save as a png. Is there a way to save each frame of a movie as a png rather than the default which is jpg?

Thanks,
Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

One more request:

For the data probe of the layer, it would be useful to display the value of contour level under the probe.

Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 11.14.12 AM.png

Joleen
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Hi Joleen...

Lately I am seeing that all the suggestions are really good.
But I have one query... (as the topic of the post says latitude on cross-sections)..

This is pretty much unrealistic case,
But if the line is along a particular latitude, putting latitude along xaxis wont make much sense.
Similarly for longitude.

Anyways now when I am working on the yaxis (Pressure/Altitude) I think I will try to add options
for xaxis (lat/lon/distance). I think it is pretty much possible.

I hope that will try to address some of the issues raised by you..

regards
Ghansham
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Yes Ghansham, I believe that would address the issue.

Thanks,
Joleen