“how to” guide for mcidas-x users

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
TJS

“how to” guide for mcidas-x users

Post by TJS »

I understand we are still at beta, but are there any plans to build a ' Rosetta stone' for mcidas-x users switching to mcidas-v? By this I mean that terms like 'imgprobe' or ‘enhancement’ would show up in the users' guide with hints how the task could be done in mc-v.

Thanks.
beckys

Re: “how to” guide for mcidas-x users

Post by beckys »

Hi, Tim -

I just noticed that no one had ever responded to this forum post. Sorry about that!

To answer your question, we don't have any plans to create a Rosetta Stone for McIDAS-X users. That would be a huge undertaking!

We are, however, continuing to improve the McIDAS-V User's Guide and tutorials. The User's Guide has a good search feature available both in the Menu when running McIDAS-V and on the McIDAS website. If you use the search in the user's guide and/or the forum, you should be able to come up with your answers. If you can't, then you should post a message to the forum, and we'll answer your question and go back and bulk up the User's Guide with the missing information.

As for your examples, IMGPROBE probably won't ever come up with a match in the -V User's Guide, but the first match on Color Enhancement is the "Color Table Editor" page, which is exactly what I think I'd expect.

Hope this helps!
- Becky
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

In the user's guide, would it be possible add at the end of the "Displaying Satellite Imagery" section to add the text, IMGPROBE and other index names so that a search of IMGPROBE would return the "Displaying Satellite Imagery" section. I have seen this before in other guides, it is a great help to user's who have been dedicated to an older system.
beckys

Post by beckys »

Hi, Tim -

Check out this forum post that Jess just added to Tips & Tricks http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=168 . Is this what you had in mind?

- Becky