Labels

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
TJS

Labels

Post by TJS »

Hi,

Maybe this has already be covered, but can there be more control over adding text/labels to images?

For example:
- Remove the '1 of 1' label with the time (right now it's all or nothing)
- Put the same label on many frames (in the same spot)
- Not have the 'drawing control' label seen
- Being able to have the data set seen, changing font, size, centering, etc.

See attached.

Thanks,
TJS
Attachments
Sample of text boxes and labels.
Sample of text boxes and labels.
Rick

Re: Labels

Post by Rick »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for giving us another example showing this limitation. This issue is on the MUG's todo list and will require a significant development effort.

Rick
joleenf

Re: Labels

Post by joleenf »

Along the same line as TJS's request, would it be possible to get a FRMLABEL like simplicity in adding text labels for Imagery. Right now we can get the %longname% and %shortname%, but in some cases, neither are the format desired. It would be nice for the user to be able to specify the display label in a similar way as McIDAS-X. For instance, if I am displaying Band 16 from GOES-16, I would like to specify something like %satellitename% Band=%Band% %wavelength% %timestamp% Right now, the field short name will be something like 186_Band16_Temp. In addition, if I load that image from a non-conventional route like using "Formulas>Miscellaneous>Change Unit>Image Display over Topography", the short name is "Change Unit."

We have learned that we can customize the %timestamp% through Edit>Preferences>Formats & Data and then change the timestamp format under "Formats>Date Format," but in cases where McIDAS-V is on a shared account, it would change it for following sessions. Is there a way to customize the timestamp for only the current session? Assume that we would forget to restore the default preferences at the end of the session, because that is a good bet. Perhaps the controls for the %timestamp% could be similar to changing the font for the display label through View>Properties>Main (Display List Subcategory) As far as I can tell, this changes the font for the current session only rather than changing it for every session in the Edit>Preferences>Display Window (Layer List Properties subcategory).