Viewing Full Disk Images

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
TJS

Re: Viewing Full Disk Images

Post by TJS »

See attached images of why we need to view space (eg, where's the moon?--maybe used for calibration).

Other reasons are to verify instrument noise (as we do with each GOES looking for deviations in the uniform space) and/or to investigate stray light/solar intrusion.

TJS
Attachments
GOES-13 visible. Band 2. Mcidas-X.
GOES-13 visible. Band 2. Mcidas-X.
GOES-13 visible. Band 2. Mcidas-V.
GOES-13 visible. Band 2. Mcidas-V.
tdrink

Post by tdrink »

Here's a display capture from new development we're working on.
Attachments
moon.jpg
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Another option now is to check in the User Preferences Advanced Tab:

Enable Access to Image Data by Reference. Choose to use or not use Java Access to Image Data by Reference. We recommend that this option be checked, as it often removes the jagged edges at the limb and/or gaps at the dateline that sometimes appear in displays of image data.

This should be default in the latest nightly builds, but was not checked in my version.

For more information, see User Preferences - Advanced in the User's guide.
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... ences.html

Joleen
beckys

Post by beckys »

Hi, Joleen -

Yes, this option should be checked "on" by default.

If you run a nightly version, there were a few days (around Thanksgiving I think) where the default was to have it checked "off". If you had downloaded a nightly on one of those days, it's possible that your default was changed to "off". People running version 1.0 or 1.01beta1 should not have seen it getting checked off.

Once we're absolutely confident that there are no negative repercussions to having this option always checked "on", we'll probably remove this option from the Preferences to avoid this confusion.

- Becky
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Becky,

Just for clarification: I was running a nightly build from last week (new version on January 5th, 2011). Tom R. thought it was possible that I had installed a previous nightly build with that option checked off and for some reason, those preferences were retained when I updated.

Joleen