More than four panels

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
tsavos

More than four panels

Post by tsavos »

I have been searching this board and can not believe the following feature was not requested. It must be buried somewhere. In any event, Tim S. mentioned that someone built him a special function to allow for 16 panels, in order to show the simulated ABI. I was going to try the same (20 panels) for a plot of all the current GOES sounder channels at once. Is there a function or a plug-in that I can install to allow this capability?

Thanks!
-Brian
ESPC
jayh

Re: More than four panels

Post by jayh »

Hi Brian-

We do have an inquiry to address this issue. http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=622

Also, I talked with Tom Whittaker and have some information on Tim's ABI display information. Unidata helped Tim get something going for the ABI, and I've attached the jar file to this message:

With the help of Unidata, a plug-in was built for Tim that allows for 4x4 display. This could be modified to allow for a 4x5 display -- why you would want to do this is beyond me, but I have attached the plugin. Brian could unzip it and then edit the two files.

The .rbi could stay pretty much the same (except for changing the "four by four" idea into a "four by five" where appropriate.

In the .xml file, he should change the "cols" attribute from "4" to "5", and then add four more "views" (view17 - view20), following the pattern in the file.

When he's done, he should re-zip the file, change the name, add it as a plug-in, and then restart McV.

tom
4by4.jar
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
tsavos

Post by tsavos »

Hey, that worked! I've attached the modified plugin and a screenshot. What I was trying to do was mimic the CIMSS GOES sounder 20 panel image at: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/rt/view ... uct=ge_all using McIDAS-V. I didn't have time to populate the tiles yet, but when I do I'll be sure to send along a bundle.

Thanks!
-Brian
4x5.jpg
Attachments
4by5.jar
(1.47 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
TJS

Post by TJS »

Hi,

You might also want to 'turn off' some of the control buttons, if you are going to have them linked, anyway.

For example, see attached image.

TJS
Attachments
4x4_abi_color4.png