GOES-16 data on AWS

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

GOES-16 data on AWS

Post by joleenf »

Under the topic "List of freely available data that McIDAS-V can display" (http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1195&start=0&sid=4c1681f10760b66e90f299bedbc4bff8),

I added a quick outline about how to display NEXRAD data of AWS. Has UNIDATA created a THREDDS server to access the GOES-16 data on AWS?

Thanks,
Joleen
bobc

Re: GOES-16 data on AWS

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

Thanks for your addition to the List of freely available data that McV can display forum. I believe the Unidata THREDDS group is in the process of testing a catalog for GOES-16 data, but I don't know if the data is on AWS or not.

If we become aware of a publicly available catalog for GOES-16 data, we will a reference to it to McIDAS-V.

Thanks for requesting this -
Bob
joleenf

Re: GOES-16 data on AWS

Post by joleenf »

Hi Bob,

The data I last saw from the UNIDATA THREDDS server were not the original netCDF files, they were the remapped AWIPS data. It is useful to be able to access the AWIPS files for various purposes, but the data from the AWS would match data from NOAA CLASS or the PDA. It would be extremely helpful to access this data directly since many users do not have access to the PDA.

Joleen