Basic Interpolation for Satellite Data?

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
stormchasing101

Basic Interpolation for Satellite Data?

Post by stormchasing101 »

Hello,

With Unidata's AWIPS II becoming unavailable for a time with the latest server, I am forced to get back to my workhorses of IDV and McIDAS. WIth AWIPS, I was able to apply a basic smoothing to satellite data which was very helpful with 1 km visible imagery on a WFO scale. I was wondering if that functionality could be implemented in McIdas? Thanks.

Best Wishes,
Carl
Last edited by stormchasing101 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayh

Re: Basic Interpolation for Satellite Data?

Post by jayh »

Hi Carl-

That would be a good enhancement for the system's Image Display type. It is available when you display and image with the Image Contours display type. However, under the hood, that enters the gridded display type. I have written inq. 2516 for evaluation of adding this to the imagery.

I had a few other random thoughts. If you load satellite data from netCDF files, you would get the smoothing options as that data is loaded as a grid type. Also, we do have a host of image filters in the Formula list in the Field Selector, though none just do simple smoothing.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Carl-

Bob pointed out to me that it's possible to use a formula to view your data as a color-shaded plan view (a grid type display), and then you'd be able to use the smoothing options available.

- Load your data
- In the Field Selector, choose Formulas->Miscellaneous->Any Field. Then in the upper right Displays pane choose Plan Views->Color-Shaded Plan View. Click Create Display.

Then in the Layer controls you'll have smoothing options, you most likely will need to change the range of data and the color enhancement to get it looking like an image, but for now this can be a work around.

Thanks, Jay
stormchasing101

Post by stormchasing101 »

Thanks for the help :) That displays very nicely...

--Carl