point data persisting past its valid time

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
kbedka1

point data persisting past its valid time

Post by kbedka1 »

I have some point data to display where the valid times of the data, i.e. you have an observation at 0600 UTC and maybe not another until 1000 UTC. I am trying to integrate these data with a satellite image display, where the satellite images are every 15 mins. I am finding that the point display (see the cyan circle in the center panel of the attached image) is persisting for hours after the data is valid. In my example here, that cyan circle was associated with the cold cloud 2 hours prior to the that has moved eastward a long distance. The circle does not go away until the next valid time in the point data file. Having the circle persist so long is not at all desirable.

I tried to customize the point display by clicking the times tab and then selecting range, from animation time +/- 1 min so in theory it would only show up within 1 min of the time it is valid. But this does not seem to work. Am I missing a setting that I can choose to have the point disappear soon after the data is valid? I have other fields I want to display (valid at 15 min intervals) along with the circles in the center panel so I can't just set the time driver to be the point data display.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.55.05 AM.png
jayh

Re: point data persisting past its valid time

Post by jayh »

Hi Kris-

I don't think we have a trick with the Define Animation Times widget that will accomplish this. We can reproduce this behavior fairly easily, and Joleen has reported this before as well. Currently inq. 2134 is queued. I'll add your information to this inquiry and have it re-evaluated.

I searching the forums and inquiry system, I did find a previous thread that Tom Rink helped you with a workaround for this type of behavior. Bob and I created a formula that calls the python script he posted in that thread, and it did seem to help. Here are the steps we did:

1. You can paste the python code in your Jython Library and save it.
2. Create this formula:
formula.png

3. Load in your point and satellite data sources.
4. Display the satellite data.
5. Evaluate the formula, and pass through your point and satellite data sources.

In our examples we were working with there were some extra time steps added in, we have yet to investigate this.

I hope this workaround helps for now. I'll link this forum thread to inq. 2134 as well so it can be tracked better.

Thanks, Jay
kbedka1

Re: point data persisting past its valid time

Post by kbedka1 »

Thank you Jay, wow, 2011, time flies. I will make a better point of remembering this discussion and will give this a try if this issue comes up again.