AWIPS NetCDF files

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
wstraka

AWIPS NetCDF files

Post by wstraka »

Since I believe that GEMPAK has a way of doing this already, would there be a way of adding read capability for the AWIPS netCDF files?? Those of us that help produce products for AWIPS would find it useful to view our output before streaming it to make sure that we have the projection, etc. correct before making it operational and with out bugging Jordan everytime we produce a new AWIPS product.

Thanks!
barryr

Re: AWIPS NetCDF files

Post by barryr »

Hi wstraka,
As you noted, AWIPS netCDF files are not currently readable in McIDAS-V. (You will likely get an error something like, "Selected image(s) not available".)

I wrote up your feature request as McIDAS-V inquiry 511:

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=511

Thanks,
Barry
wstraka

Re: AWIPS NetCDF files

Post by wstraka »

Barry

Actually, it won't even read the netCDF files. It keeps giving me the "Please try again" when you try reading the files in to McIDAS-V. Considering the NWS Aviation group is using Interactive Calibration of Four Dimensions (IC4D), which can only read in the AWIPS netCDF files (nudges kbedka1), as well as the fact that the Imagery AWG team produces AWIPS netCDF files (nudges tjs and kaba), I just figured it would be useful to a wide range of people, including the people at ESPC. I have a couple of files that you guys can look at, if you want.

Thanks for putting it in the McIDAS-V inquiry box!