File-->New Display Tab-->Misc

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

File-->New Display Tab-->Misc

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

Using the File-->New Display Tab-->Misc-->Transect and Map option,

If I first display in the map display, the cross section appears in them map, but not in the transect display. This makes sense if there is no way for the software to determine if that map display was really associated with a transect display.

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 11.22.25 AM.png

When I select the transect window, then display the field into the transect window, there is data in the transect window, and the points of the transect in the main display. While the location of the transect is marked in the main display, the data does not display there. This somewhat nullifies the original argument that the software can't determine if the map display is associated with a transect display. Furthermore, it is different than using a cross section display in that the layer controls and the map both show the vertical cross section.

transect.png

It would be nice if the transects which are displayed in the transect window are replicated in the map display window where the locations of various transects are drawn. Is there a way to link map and transect displays so that a vertical cross section displayed in a map display becomes a transect in the transect window?

Joleen
Attachments
transect.png
jayh

Re: File-->New Display Tab-->Misc

Post by jayh »

Hi Joleen-

I believe the behavior you are seeing is the expected behavior for the "Transect and Map" display. I didn't find any way to have the cross section displayed in both windows. I do agree this would be a nice enhancement and have written up inq. 1686 for evaluation: http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1686

Thanks for the good request!
-Jay
joleenf

Re: File-->New Display Tab-->Misc

Post by joleenf »

Hi Jay,

Thanks. It almost seems that if that were possible, the transect display and cross section displays could converge. As separate entities, they have there own nice features but also replicate each other quite a bit. This leads to more spin-up for the software.

Joleen