Suggestions related to adde image datasource

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
ghansham

Suggestions related to adde image datasource

Post by ghansham »

R/Sir

For improving the adde stuff is that whenever we change the data choice, I think new request are being sent down to the server to fetch the required information for creating dataselection components. I think this data traffic can be reduced by not sending the stuff if only the calibration type has changed like for MIR channel of MSG if I switch from Radiance to BT in datachoice. Am I correct in saying that???
Moreover is it not possible that we create an image display control which gives user the control to change calibration type. For that you may have to put all the calibration modules as part of McV this will save a lot of data requests being sent to the server (in case of remote data servers). May be that makes a lot more sense.
In that way user may not have to load more than one image (with calibration type equal to say RAW)
After that he can just change the calibration type from display control (using the calibration modules added within mcv or better say VisAD edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.adde calibration classes). Going further there should be some way to set probe information preferences e.g. radiance/bt/count/brightness (something what is already there in place in Mc-X.
I think this will give user more control.

regards
Ghansham
bobc

Re: Suggestions related to adde image datasource

Post by bobc »

Hi Ghansham -

Thanks for the feature requests. For your first note about the number of server calls, Unidata is currently doing work with the image chooser that is reducing the number of server calls. Once these updates are made to the IDV and fully tested, we will work on integrating their changes into McIDAS-V, which should help with the data traffic.

For the second part of your request, I have written up McIDAS-V Inquiry #1622. This inquiry covers adding calibration modules for different satellites to McIDAS-V to help with server traffic when a new calibration type is chosen. After discussing this with our group, we think that if this were to be done more of the IMGPROBE functionality of McIDAS-X could be built into McIDAS-V. Therefore, if you were to probe a display of visible data, you would be able to get an output that include units of ALB, BRIT, and RAW.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp