netCDF/hdf bounding box information

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

netCDF/hdf bounding box information

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

When selecting a region via the field selector for netCDF and hdf files, it would be nice to know the bounding box used. If I accidentally exit my session or do something else silly before finishing my work, I can return to the original display region. This would also be helpful when selecting data from different bands in Suomi NPP data.

Joleen
bobc

Re: netCDF/hdf bounding box information

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

Thanks for the feature request. This sounds similar to a request that was made at the MUG meeting (add the ability to carry over subsetted regions from one data source to another). I wrote this up as McIDAS-V Inquiry #1571. http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1571

I added your request to this inquiry and attached this forum post to it as well.

Thanks again -
Bob Carp
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

This feature is available for netcdf files (the bounding box selected for one band does not change when we switch to another band within the same datasource).
But it is not available across the datasources. It will be really exciting.

In addition to this I feel there should be away for the user to input the bounding box values using text box within the dataselection component. It is available for netcdf files but through a longer route. It is there in data source properties->Spatial Subset tab.
But that applies to all bands within the file. And if user has done some sub-setting already then that overrides the one in the spatial subset tab. We should have text fields within the region selection component.

Another one is related to projection manager. The user should be given control to enter the projection corner coordinates through text fields.

regards
Ghansham
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Ghansham -

Thanks for your comments. I added your suggestions to inquiry 1571.

As far as being able to enter corner point lat/lon values in the Projection Manager, this has been requested in the past and it is written up as inquiry 934. I added your request for this functionality to that inquiry.

Thanks again!
Bob Carp