return to map display from data explorer

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

return to map display from data explorer

Post by joleenf »

There seems to be a quick way to get back to the Data Explorer from the Map Display (click on the blue V in the Main Toolbar of the Main display window), but is there a quick way to get back to the Map Display from the Data Explorer?

Joleen
barryr

Re: return to map display from data explorer

Post by barryr »

Hi Joleen
Sorry, there's no button in the Data Explorer or keyboard shortcut to take you to the McV map display window. Of course, depending on your operating system, there are often several methods for jumping to windows. For example, if you're on a Windows XP workstation you can just click its corresponding button on the Task Bar or use Alt+Tab to select the window.

Barry
barryr

Post by barryr »

Hi Joleen,
Just a follow-up note that, as requested, I moved your request from the General Questions forum to the Feature Requests forum and filed it as McIDAS-V inquiry #492.

Thanks!
Barry
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

I just found that it is possible to return to the map display from the data explorer! If the Data Explorer window is in the foreground, click on "Layer Controls" tab. The far left column of the Layer Control window lists the panels and the layers within the panel. Click on the PANEL name (for example: untitled>Panel 1). This returns you to the display for the panel.
Attachments
return_to_map_display.png
barryr

Post by barryr »

Thanks, Joleen, that's good info.

At least for now, I'm going to leave this as a feature request (rather than consider it closed and move it back to the
General Questions forum) for a couple reasons:
1. It's still not as simple as many users might expect (i.e., you must go to the Layer Controls tab) whereas a
button visible from all three tabs and/or a shortcut key are easier.
2. When you hover over the Tab/Panel text there's no popup text telling you that it will switch to the
Main Display window.
3. You can end up accidentally switching the active tab and panel to one you didn't want because there's a separate
label for each tab and each panel. So if you have four tabs, each with four panels, that's 16 different labels that
mostly look the same, so you could easily end up clicking on the wrong one.

In summary, a single button visible from all tabs on the Data Explorer, and/or simple shortcut keys, would still be a nice feature to add. :-)

Barry