reset projection with new data / auto-set projection

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
hproe

reset projection with new data / auto-set projection

Post by hproe »

In one of our labs at Bracciano Summer School we have (again!) encountered a conflicting situation with the projection when displaying multi-platform imagery, i.e. with different native projections. Notwithstanding 'Reset Projection With New Data' was unchecked in 'Preferences' right after McV installation, at a certain point the display started to change projection when an image from another platform was added. The culprit of the unexpected auto-set of the initial projection must have been inherited from a bundle that was loaded during the lab activity with reset or auto-set projection (inadevertently) checked.

I suggest that 'Reset Projection With New Data' in 'Preferences' and 'Auto-set Projection' buried in 2(!) places be unchecked by default. I cannot think of many applications that want to have the display re-projected each time data with a different native projection is added - actually I cannot think of anyone. I have raised this point years back, and I strongly recommend to reconsider it.

HP
barryr

Re: reset projection with new data / auto-set projection

Post by barryr »

Hi HP,
Thanks for the request! Rather than write a new inquiry, I added it to a similar one that Bob wrote after a "satellite bootcamp".

The one I added it to is #1439; hope that's ok...
http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1439

Thanks again,
Barry
hproe

Re: reset projection with new data / auto-set projection

Post by hproe »

That's fine by me, Barry.

HP