Couple of features

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
ghansham

Couple of features

Post by ghansham »

Sir..

Thermodynamic diagram have almost all leaving tphigram.
Is it possible to add that?

Secondly, sometimes user needs pressure levels than altitude in
vertical cross-sections and vertical point profiles...

regards
Ghansham
bobc

Re: Couple of features

Post by bobc »

Hi Ghansham -

Thanks for the requests. I looked through the inquiry system, and there has been a request in the past to be able to plot tephigrams. This is written up as McIDAS-V Inquiry #1107.

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1107

I put this inquiry back into evaluation so it can be re-prioritized.

As for your second request, I didn't see an inquiry that matched this exact request, so I wrote it up as McIDAS-V Inquiry #1467. http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1467. This covers the ability to change the vertical axis of cross section and vertical profile displays from altitude to pressure levels.

Thanks again for the requests!
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for updating inquiry #1467. The ability to plot data using a pressure coordinate axis rather than using altitude is something which is very important to a number of CIMSS scientists. In addition, I believe that there are a number of scientists in other organizations who would like this capability as well. It would also be nice to see pressure marked as a vertical scale on any 3D display. In addition, have the ability to view a few more tick marks rather than only the top and bottom of the vertical scale as it is now when using "Display Scales."

Thanks,
Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

I should also add that it is sometimes advantageous to use altitude as a vertical coordinate. When comparing aircraft flight data to a model, the automatic conversion of pressure levels to altitude using the standard atmosphere makes the job easier. Even in this case, it would be nice to have a few more tick marks labeled on the vertical scale.

Joleen
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Hi all,
Its nice to see a prompt reply from your side. Looking forward to see feature update.
Regards
Ghansham
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

Thanks for your input. Adding the ability to do more with the vertical scale in the Main Display window is part of McIDAS-V Inquiry #1408.

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1408

This inquiry is currently under evaluation. Using today's (05/13) nightly, we have incorporated the ability to customize the horizontal (lat/lon) scale in the Main Display with respect to tick mark and label frequency but this has yet to be applied to the vertical scale. I added to the inquiry that you would also like to customize tick mark frequency on the vertical scale.

Thanks again -
Bob
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Hi All ...

Hope all are doing well...

Lately I have been able to atleast get the Pressure Level as YAxis for Cross-Section Controls.

I think I can share it with you. I actually modified two classes: CrossSection Control and VerticalXSDisplay.

Actually I took IDV 4.0u1 as the base to start off.
I think this feature can be put on http://mcidasv.ssec.wisc.edu/issues.

I can submit the code. If somebody can help me to test it, that will be really wonderful.
Meanwhile I think another feature is there on the feature list to control the label on the axis ticks.
The reason is when I transform from altitude to pressure I get labels only for 100 mb and 1000 mb.
The scientists might be looking for a few more labels. I think this needs changes in core visAD.
Long way to go..

I am really bad at using git. So the best thing I can do is just upload the modified classes and let someone just
push into a test branch. I have test a bit it seems to be working fine.

Looking forward to hear.

Ghansham
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

HI All..

Another issue is the vertical range in the display tab of the cross-section control.
It always shows 0/16000 irrespective of the fact the vertical range of data may be something else.

Another thing is that when auto-scale is checked, and we change the range, no auto-scaling happens.
I am not sure if this is the expected behavior.

Ghansham
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Ghansham,

Does inquiry number 1389 cover this issue?

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1389

I think the behavior was intentional, but the result is confusing.

Joleen
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Ghansham,

Here is some information I received to explain the issue. However, I am not sure if it really clears up any of the confusion, it just explains the operation

In the "Main" display there is no "auto-scale"
-- it just scales to the set value

In the "Control" display, if the "auto-scale" is checked (and regardless of the numeric value), any change in the Main display, will get re-displayed in the Control display with the vertical scale determined by the data.

Joleen