Ability to Edit Colorbar for point data

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

Ability to Edit Colorbar for point data

Post by joleenf »

Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 11.33.56 AM.png

There does not seem to be a way to edit the color table when using the color table in the "Color By" parameter of the Layout Model Editor for point data. When I wish to modify the color bar, I have to create a new color table on displayed imagery, and then apply in the Layout Model Editor. It would be nice to confine the changes to particular "Color Bar" displays.

Joleen
ghansham

Re: Ability to Edit Colorbar for point data

Post by ghansham »

Hello all...
Hope all is going great at your end.
Well I think for creating or editing a color table you have to you color model editor. Not to via the displayed imagery route.
Or I didnt understand your question. Yeah But I think there is no direct link from the layout model editor "Color by Parameter" to go to Color Table Editor. And that facility should be there. Am I understanding the problem correctly?

regards
Ghansham
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Hi Ghansham,

Yes, I was looking to implement a temporary change rather than saving a new color table. However, you are correct, the most direct solution right now is to create a new color table using the Tools>Color Tables Color Table Editor. I am okay with that solution for now. Down the road, after other things are addressed, it would be nice to have the option to apply a temporary change to a color bar for a particular point display.

Joleen
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Joleen,

Just to make sure I understand. You want to be able to launch the color table editor from the layout model editor in the same way you can from the legend in the main display. I wrote this inquiry:

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1421

Let me know if I'm not understanding you request and I'll update the inquiry.
joleenf

Post by joleenf »

Yes.

Joleen
kbedka

Post by kbedka »

I too have run into this and it would be nice to launch a color table editor from the layout model editor
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

hi...
Just some help for the programmers about how to go about this.
Somebody needs to add a method like the doEdit method from ucar.unidata.idv.control.ColorTableWidget
and create ColorTableEditor variable in the ucar.unidata.ui.symbol.PropertiesDialog and add another menuitem in the popup to say
"Edit Table". Call the doEdit method when user clicks on this menu item

Ghansham