user control text display outside of wireframe box

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
joleenf

user control text display outside of wireframe box

Post by joleenf »

Hi,

Currently is seems that text which is displayed outside the wireframe box using draw freely is only shown the View>Show>Clip View at Box is not selected (see images below). This makes sense for glyphs like fronts, but not necessarily for the text. Is there a way to make an option for the user as a checkbox (i.e. Show outside wireframe box when clipped)?

Also, is there a way to stretch the graphic so that all the text appears on one line?

Joleen

All data is shown, "Clip View at Box" is not selected.
All data is shown, "Clip View at Box" is not selected.

Data is clipped at box and text is lost.
Data is clipped at box and text is lost.
bobc

Re: user control text display outside of wireframe box

Post by bobc »

Hi Joleen -

Although I understand why McIDAS-V crops off text displayed outside of the wireframe box when you have the 'Clip View at Box' item selected, I understand how it could be useful to be able to display certain data (like text) outside of the box. I have added this as a request for an enhancement and it is McIDAS-V inquiry #1191

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1191

As for your second note about stretching the text box, this is something that appears to be broken in the IDV and McV. In the Drawing Controls window, the second mode, drag, is supposed to be able to stretch a graphic with Ctrl+drag. This does not appear to work. I have written up an inquiry for this, and it is McIDAS-V inquiry #1192

http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=1192

However, there does appear to be a workaround for this bug. When you are entering your text in the 'Text entry' window, there is a Preview panel at the bottom, which shows how the text will appear in the Main Display window. You can click and drag on the boundaries of this window, expanding it so that all of the text appears in one line in the Preview. When you hit OK, the text will all appear in one line in the display.

Thanks for the bug report and feature request -
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services