Support for Geostationary CF1-9

Post ideas for new functionality you'd like to see in McIDAS-V or ideas for new tutorials.
jllisov

Support for Geostationary CF1-9

Post by jllisov »

I am not sure but it seems that my request is loosed. I apologize if it is duplicated.
I am writing you from the EUMETSAT NWC SAF.

I try to give you a little of context: We are trying to move our file format to be CF-1.9 or higher. But apparently Panoply does not understand this specification, that basically are:

For geostationary projection nx standard name changes from "projection_x_coordinate" to "projection_x_angular_coordinate"
The units change from "m" to "radian"
And nx is storing the values in radian (corresponding to the satellite scanning angle)

For CF-1.9, the same changes are applied to ny.

I apologize, as said, I have tried with the last version of Panoply but, if I am not in a mistake, it doesn't understand the navigation of the file.

By the moment, for the official format, we are stacked in something in between CF-1.8 and CF-1.9 (waiting for Panoply to support the specification), but it is not the ideal situation for us.

Please can you confirm that Panoply doesn't support the specification? In case that not, we would like to ask if it is possible to implement the feature in Panoply.

Please find annexed an example file and the expected output.

Thanks a lot in advance

Llorenç
Attachments
S_NWC_CTTH_MSG4_CF1-9.nc
(5.86 MiB) Downloaded 576 times
Expected.png
jllisov

Re: Support for Geostationary CF1-9

Post by jllisov »

Sorry but the post is for mcIdasV. Panoply has already implemented the feature.
bobc

Re: Support for Geostationary CF1-9

Post by bobc »

Hello,

Thanks for reporting this and for all of the detailed information. I wrote up inquiry 3073 for us to investigate this issue. I will let you know when any development is done to get this data supported in McIDAS-V.

Thanks again,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services