AVHRR HRPT support

How do I...?
kbedka1

AVHRR HRPT support

Post by kbedka1 »

I brought in a NOAA AVHRR HRPT file from the CLASS archive via a local ADDE server and see that I only can view raw counts, not brightness temp or albedo. Am I doing something wrong, or is this data not fully supported in Mc-V?
Rick

Re: AVHRR HRPT support

Post by Rick »

Hi Kris,

There are a couple of restrictions as we only support the following:

You can access AVHRR Level 1b files containing MetOp-A FRAC or POES/NOAA KLM and later (NOAA-15,-16,-17 and later) imagery from NOAA CLASS (http://www.class.noaa.gov)
The two types of files that can be used are 10-bit files (which inherently have all channels) and 16-bit files that contain all channels. 16-bit files with only one channel from CLASS will not work with McIDAS ADDE servers.

There is currently an on going development effort for the servers to work with pre-KLM satellites.

Let us know if you think your data should work. If so, we'll download some data and give it a try.

Rick
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

yes mine should work, I was looking at 10-bit NOAA-18 HRPT.
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris,

I am having trouble replicating your problem. Here is what I did:

On the NOAA CLASS website, I chose AVHRR. I selected HRPT as my Datatype and NOAA-18 as my Satellite. I also selected 10 Bits/Pixel and all channels.

After receiving this data, I attempted to replicate your issue. However, my Field Selector did not include Brightness Temperature or Albedo under any wavelengths. This is what my Field Selector looks like:

0.63um VIS Cloud and Surface Features (Raw, Reflectivity, and Brightness)
0.86um VIS Aerosols over Water, Veg. (Raw, Reflectivity, and Brightness)
3.74um IR Low Cloud/Fog, Fire Detection (Raw, Radiance, Temperature, and Brightness)
10.8um IR Surface/Cloud-top Temperature (Raw, Radiance, Temperature, and Brightness)
12.0um IR SFC/Cloud Temp, Low-level WV (Raw, Radiance, Temperature, and Brightness)

I am able to get all of this data to display correctly. What did you do differently to get the parameters of Albedo and Brightness Temperature?

- Bob
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Kris -

I tried to load in the same data on a Mac by creating a Local ADDE Dataset, and I came up with the same list of wavelengths and parameters in my Field Selector as I did on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. What operating system are you working in?

We also tried to load in the same file into McIDAS-X, because we are almost sure that -X would work correctly for this. We were able to visualize the same parameters that we were in -V.

Could you possibly send us the file that you are trying to work with? That way we could try to display the data here and see what the problem may be.

Thanks -
Bob
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

see attached images, one of them is AVHRR GAC, where I can choose between the various data units (raw, temperature, etc..). The second is from a AVHRR HRPT file where I am not given a choice of data parameters. If I were to choose the the 10.8 channel, the raw counts are displayed.

I have put a sample HRPT file at:

ftp://ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/NS ... 3021515.WI

I am using a Mac, with OS 10.5
Attachments
Picture 9.png
Picture 8.png
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Kris,

I took the file you posted and was able to load it in McIDAS-V. I have tried on both 10.6 and 10.5.8 with McIDAS-V 1.01beta1. Attached is an image showing my results. Can you verify if you are running something beyond 10.5. sw_vers is the command I used.

Rick
Attachments
noaa-avhrr.png
kbedka1

Post by kbedka1 »

Here's the result from that command:

ProductName: Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.5.8
BuildVersion: 9L31a

I am using V1.01, not 1.01beta1
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi Kris,

Sorry it took so long to respond ...

1) Are you seeing any error messages in mcidasv.log?
2) We have found in the past that occasionally a file from a nightly release or plugin can cause problems. So, stop McIDAS-V, rename your McIDAS-V directory, restart McIDAS-V.
3) Try re-loading the data.

Let us know how thing go. If renaming the directory fixes your problem, we'll try to see if we can determine the bad file.

Rick