How can I specify the display dimensions?

How do I...?
tsavos

How can I specify the display dimensions?

Post by tsavos »

In McIDAS-X, I would simply edit the .mcidasrc file to set the -f flag to the number of frames and the screen dimensions. I'd like to set up the display dimension in McIDAS-V for an application that needs a specific image dimension. I've set the "full screen" dimensions in "View > Properties" but would like to set the main display.

Thanks,
-Brian (ESPC)
barryr

Re: How can I specify the display dimensions?

Post by barryr »

Hi tsavos,
To be clear, you want your image captures (via View > Capture > Image) to jpeg or other formats to be a specific size, right?

Assuming the answer is "yes", we thought there would be an easy answer. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that way. We thought that there might be something like the -f flag (in McX) in the McV command line arguments described in http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... ments.html, but we couldn't find it. (As you can tell by looking at that page, it came from IDV and hasn't been fully checked and updated for McV yet).

There might be a way to do what you want with Jython scripting or bundles (inquiry 219). But we'll have to wait to get an answer from a McV expert.

In the meantime, something that might help is that once you get the image display set to the size you need (perhaps via multiple iterations of saving an image with View > Capture > Image and noting its size, then resizing the window until you get it the size you want), you can save it as the default layout (with File > Default Layout > Save) so that your subsequent McIDAS-V sessions always start with that window size and layout.

Hope that helps a bit. If we don't learn of an easier way, I think we should make this a feature/enhancement request since it seems like something that should be easy to do and could be useful to many people.

barryr
tomw

Re: How can I specify the display dimensions?

Post by tomw »

Hi Brian....

After you set the "full screen dimensions", then if you click on View->Full Screen, the navigated display will pop-up at the dimension you specified. This would allow you to then capture an image interactively.

If you want to script this, then you will find options in the ISL that allow you to also specify the image dimensions for saving a frame or a movie. See the "resize" tag in the Scripting portion of the User Guide.

If you want to do something else, please let us know....