Precipitable water DATA

How do I...?
said.albahri

Precipitable water DATA

Post by said.albahri »

Dear all
Where can I find DATA of precipitable water to visualize in Mcidas-v ???
bobc

Re: Precipitable water DATA

Post by bobc »

Hello,

There are a couple ways to view precipitable water in McIDAS-V.

Satellite Data
Note that there are a variety of satellites that have some type of precipitable water product. The steps below describe how you can display this product from Level 2 GOES-R series data:
  1. From the Satellite -> Imagery chooser, select "adde.ucar.edu" as the Server.
  2. Type in "L2GEAST" (GOES-East) or "L2GWEST" (GOES-West) for Dataset and click Connect. Note that these datasets don't list by default in McIDAS-V 1.8, though they will be included when version 1.9 gets released.
  3. In the Image Type dropdown, scroll down until you find the collections that begin with "TPW". There should be 4 listed, one for each domain (FD, CONUS, M1, and M2).
  4. From here, work with the data like you would any satellite data. Select your time(s) and click Add Source. In the Field Selector, choose the "Tpw" field, your display type, and click Create Display.
Gridded Data
To use remote gridded data, you will have to download our 1.9beta1 nightly build from here (login and password are both: mcv). Note that this is build is automatically created every day with all of the previous day's programming changes, so not everything has been fully tested. I would download the installer for your OS that doesn't include "java11" in the name. There are several grids that include a precipitable water variable. Once you have the 1.9beta1 build installed, here are steps you can follow to display GFS precipitable water:
  1. From the Gridded Data -> Remote chooser, ensure that https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/software/v/threddsRTModels.xml is the Catalog. Select "RealTime Data -> NCEP Model Data -> Global Forecast System (GFS) -> GFS CONUS 80km -> Latest Collection *" and click Add Source.
  2. From the Field Selector, expand "2D grid" and select "Precipitable water @ Entire Atmosphere *", choose your display type, times, and click Create Display.
Note that not all models will contain a precipitable water variable and some may have a different name than the GFS CONUS variable.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services