Gridded data in mercator projection

How do I...?
jconforte

Gridded data in mercator projection

Post by jconforte »

Hi,
I have several gridded data. I plot then using Macidas V, in The Windows i have a latitude and longitude grid for this data. I world like know how the Macidas V navigate this data, where in this software the navigation is done and how can i get latitude and longitude grid for muito data

Thanks,
Conrado
bobc

Re: Gridded data in mercator projection

Post by bobc »

Hello,

I forwarded your question about where in the code McIDAS-V does the navigation for gridded data. I'll let you know when I hear back from them.

I was going to suggest the Grid Table display for getting a table of lat, lon, and data values. You can click in one of the cells of the Grid Table, hit Ctrl+A to select all of the cells, and Ctrl+V to copy all of the data. You can then paste the data into another application (such as Excel). This should work unless your table is very large. We have an inquiry written up to add the ability to export directly from a Grid Table to a CSV type file, but this functionality is not yet available.

With gridded data, we have a formula "Export > Export Grid to Excel" that you can try. When you select the formula and click Create Display, you'll be shown a window to specify the full path and name of the file you want to write to. For example "C:/Users/myuser/grid_values.xlsx". You can then select the variable you wanted to write to the file.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services
bobc

Re: Gridded data in mercator projection

Post by bobc »

Hello,

I checked with one of our programmers and he said the code you should start looking at is in visad-2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar. You'll find this in the McIDAS-V-System/lib directory where you installed McIDAS-V 1.8. The file you should look at is GriddedLatLonSet.java. If you don't feel like unpacking the VisAD jar file, you can take a look at the code on GitHub here. Looking at this history of changes for this file, the last change outside of a copyright updates was in mid 2018, so this should be the same version packaged with core McIDAS-V 1.8. There are some comments throughout the file, but if you come across any specific questions let me know and I can forward them to the programmer.

Thanks,
Bob