export my data to netcdf with latitude and longitude grid

How do I...?
jconforte

export my data to netcdf with latitude and longitude grid

Post by jconforte »

Hi,

I read and plot image data from GHRC (Infrared Global Geostationary Composite). I would like know how can I export this image (data) to netcdf format with the latitude and longitude grid or can I save only the latitude and longitude grid in ascii.

Thanks,

Conrado
bobc

Re: export my data to netcdf with latitude and longitude grid

Post by bobc »

Hello,

You can export satellite imagery to a netCDF file going to the Field Selector tab of the Data Explorer and selecting Formulas on the left side of the tab. Under Fields, expand "Export" and select "Export Grid/Image to netCDF". Once you click Create Display, you'll need to specify a directory path and filename. Once this is done, you can select the field you would like to write to the netCDF file.

While this creates a netCDF file, it doesn't have lat/lon dimensions or variables, but rather ImageElement and ImageLine dimensions and variables. It does not appear like there is a workaround to write lat/lon dimensions or variables into the netCDF file. However, these netCDF files are navigated and can be loaded through the General>Files/Directories chooser and displayed in McIDAS-V.

If your data is in McIDAS AREA format, while it's outside of McIDAS-V, it could be worth taking a look at AreaToNetCDF. I have very minimal experience with this package. I just tried it with a couple AREA files and the output netCDF contained line/ele dimensions and variables, though I've seen netCDF files created from it that have lat/lon dimensions and variables. For example, this page links to a netCDF file created by AreaToNetcdf that uses lat/lon instead of line/ele, so it may be dependent on the data original data you are using.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS User Services