Front positions

How do I...?
rriosalido

Front positions

Post by rriosalido »

Hi!

When I try to visualize the positions of the fronts (analysis or forecast) I always get an error message, for example:

analysis:
Loading in data source: Front Bulletins
There were errors processing the front file:
Could not parse base time:1230 PM EDT THU JUN 20 2019
Could not parse time:062015

Forecasts:
Loading in data source: Front Bulletins
There were errors processing the front file:
Could not parse base time:1211 PM EDT THU JUN 20 2019
Could not parse time:210000
Could not parse time:211200

I'm using UBUNTU and I select in Data Explorer:

Server : adde.ssec.wisc.edu
Dataset: RTWXT
Latest: Analysis Fronts or Forecast Fronts
Connect
Add Source

Thanks

Ricardo
bobc

Re: Front positions

Post by bobc »

Hello,

I just tried replicating this error on a couple of our machines (Windows 7 and Linux) and things seem to be working on my end. A few things for you to try/do to try narrowing down what's going wrong:

1. Could you try another server/dataset and let me know the results? For example, adde.ucar.edu/RTWXTEXT.
  2. When you see the error, could you copy and paste it, along with the stack trace when you click the "Show Details" button in the Error window?
  3. Could you take a screenshot of the "Formats & Data" tab of your User Preferences window and post it to the forum? You can get to this by clicking "Edit > Preferences" in the Main Display window.
  4. Could you exit McIDAS-V, go to a terminal window, cd to your McIDAS-V-System directory where McIDAS-V was installed and run:

Code: Select all

runMcV -tempuserpath

and try displaying fronts analysis/forecast? Does this work? If it does, it likely means that some type of setting/preference on your end somehow isn't behaving correctly with the fronts.
  5. Have you always seen this problem? If you were just seeing this at the time you wrote this forum post, it could be worth another quick try to see if perhaps a bad file ended up on the server that was removed.
  6. Just to verify, you're running core 1.8, correct? You can see this in "Help > About McIDAS-V" from the Main Display window.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
rriosalido

Post by rriosalido »

Hello Bob:

I have done all the steps you have indicated, both in Linux (Ubuntu) and MAC, these are the results

1) I've tried all available servers, the results are always the same.

2) I don't get the "Show details" option in the error window. I attached a screenshot with the error message when I try to visualize front analysis, the output is the same that appears in the "Console Window".

3) I attached a screenshot of"Formats & Data" both, for Linux an Mac

4) Running with the -tempuserpath options the results are de same (Linux and Mac)

5) Yes, from the moment of the installation I have always obtained the same result (in Linux and Mac).

6) Yes I'm running core 1.8 on both systems

In addition to the error messages, the displayed fronts are not realistic, I attach some screenshots
Attachments
Fronts2.jpg
Fronts1.jpg
Formats-Data_Mac.png
Formats-Data_Mac.png
Error_Mac.png
Error_Ubuntu.png
Error_Ubuntu.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 3517 times
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

Thanks for all of the information. I'm still working on trying to replicate these problems. A couple things for you to do/try:

1. What projection are you displaying the data into? You can see this under the Projections menu in your display. Do you see this error when displaying in the World projection?
  2. From the Advanced tab of the User Preferences, can you change your Log Level to "TRACE" and display your fronts? After you see the error, in your Main Display, choose "Help > Show Support Request Form". Please fill in your name, email, subject, and a description that mentions that the support request is related to this forum post. Make sure to click the checkbox at the bottom of the Request McIDAS-V Support window for "Include current application state as a bundle".

This support request could help in 2 ways:
1. We'll get a log file that might have more information about the error.
2. We'll get a bundle file where I can try loading in your display.

Thanks,
Bob
rriosalido

Post by rriosalido »

Hello Bob:

I tried in multiple projections with the same result. Attached is a screenshot when I use World Projection.

I've already sent the the Support Request Form.

Thanks,

Ricardo
Attachments
Fronts4.jpg
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

Thanks for sending in your support request. I picked up your bundle and it loads fine on my end on Windows and Linux.

By chance, can you check the locale setting on your computer? There have been reports of other problems in the past due to certain locale settings not interacting correctly with the software.

Thanks,
Bob
rriosalido

Post by rriosalido »

Hello Bob:

Attached is a file containing my locale settings in Mac and Ubuntu.

Thanks
Ricardo
Attachments
locale_settings.txt
(564 Bytes) Downloaded 199 times
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your locale information. It turns out that this is a locale setting issue. I had my locale setting as English/United States and I wasn't seeing any errors. I changed it to Spanish/Spain and I replicated your error and how the fronts display well above the map. I wrote this up as Inquiry 2808. As of right now I'm not aware of a workaround for this. I'll keep you updated on any progress with this inquiry, though I can't make any promises as to when it will be resolved.

Thanks,
Bob
rriosalido

Post by rriosalido »

OK Bob.

Thank you very much for all.

Ricardo