very slow McIDAS-V

How do I...?
said.albahri

very slow McIDAS-V

Post by said.albahri »

Hi:
I have McIDAS-V 1.6 on my computer. It is very slow. when I click on zoom in, for example, it takes around 20 seconds just to take action. ALL settings look good.

please help
bobc

Re: very slow McIDAS-V

Post by bobc »

Hello,

I have some questions/things for you to try:

1. Do you have a lot of data loaded or displayed? I've seen cases where I've been stressing the memory limits of McIDAS-V which can cause it to be a little slow to respond. You can check your memory by looking at the bottom left status bar of the Main Display window. If this has the current time listed, left-click on it to toggle to memory. This lists 3 values: "Memory currently being used" / "Max memory used so far in session" / "Total memory available to session". When you are running low on memory resources, you'll see this change to pink and then red:
    memory.jpg
    memory.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
  2. Is there a chance that you have another software or process running on your machine that is using up a lot of memory?
  3. If this problem doesn't seem to be related to memory resources being used, could you do the following:
    - Open a command prompt/terminal window
    - cd to your McIDAS-V-System directory where you installed McIDAS-V
    - Start McIDAS-V with -tempuserpath:
    on Windows: runMcV.bat -tempuserpath
    on OS X: ./runMcV -tempuserpath
    on Linux: runMcV -tempuserpath
    Does this help your slowness problem? This will start McIDAS-V as if it were the first time ever run on your machine, not using any settings/preferences you have set in the past.
  4. If none of the above help, could you install the last stable release of McIDAS-V (version 1.7u1)? There were a few things that we did to speed up McIDAS-V between 1.6 and 1.7u1 so it would be good to rule that out.
  5. Could you open your User Preferences window (Edit>Preferences from the Main Display) and go to the Advanced tab. Change the Log Level setting to TRACE, and click OK. When you get McIDAS-V into a slow state, could you select Help>Show Support Request Form? Fill this form out and submit it. This will give us some information about your operating system as well as a log file which could help point to the problem.

Thanks,
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
said.albahri

Post by said.albahri »

I installed McIDAS-V 1.7i and still very slow !!
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hello,

Sorry that McIDAS-V 1.7u1 is running very slow. If you have a chance, could you please respond to numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5 from my last post? This could give some helpful information as to what might be causing the problem. Here is a shorter version of the questions:

1. Do you have a lot of data displayed at the time that you see the slowness, or does it happen right away when you start up McIDAS-V with no data loaded?
  2. Is there another software of process running on your machine that may be using up a lot of memory?
  3. Can you try starting McIDAS-V with the "-tempuserpath" flag and see if you still experience the slowness?
  4. *** Answered, 1.7u1 didn't speed things up ***
  5. With your logging level set to TRACE, could you start up McIDAS-V and send us a support request once you see the slowness?

Thanks,
Bob