Not able to load Shapefiles into McIDAS-V***URGENT***

How do I...?
Cherise

Not able to load Shapefiles into McIDAS-V***URGENT***

Post by Cherise »

Hi Good Day,

I have been trying to upload shapefiles into the McIDAS view to no avail is there some thing wrong I am doing? I tried Window>Data Explorer>Data Sources>General> Files/Directories>DataType: Shapefile> and I chose the appropriate directory to no avail!

I have windows 10 and I tried uploading only the.shp file, then ass the associated files and even a .zip file. I even tried changing it to ascii file but that did not upload either.
I am using version 1.7ul of McIDAS-v Can any one assist. Additionally, I am looking for options to adjust the colour scheme values of the colour ramps.
I would also like to loop, or automatically update the satellite layers continuously. That is I would like the latest satellite images to come automatically into the display and update continuosly.
Can these be facilitated?

Thank you very much for your speedy and solutions oriented reply,
Best Regards,

Cherise
jayh

Re: Not able to load Shapefiles into McIDAS-V***URGENT***

Post by jayh »

Hi Cherise-

I was also not able to load your shape files in McIDAS-V. I have sent them off to a programmer that has some shape file experience and will report back when I learn some more information. Also, could let me know your source of the file? That information may help as well.

Also, for the forum, I'll post my answers to your other questions that I sent in my email to you. To set up updating loops, once you load the FDC13 data, in the Field Selector the Data Sources are listed along the left side. Right click on the FDC13 data source and choose Properties. In the Properties tab there is the option to do Polling to reload the loop as often as you'd like. Click the "Active" checkbox and choose the length of time for the loop to check for updated images.

There is a color table editor that you can customize your display with. From the Main Display choose Tools->Color Tables to bring up the editor. You can choose from tables already in the system or create your own. The Satellite Imagery tutorial on this page: http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/softwar ... ation.html has some examples of using the Color Table Editor.

I hope this information helps. I'll update this thread with information from the programmer if he is able to get some information from your shape files.

Thanks, Jay
jayh

Re: Not able to load Shapefiles into McIDAS-V***URGENT***

Post by jayh »

Hi Cherise-

A McIDAS-V programmer and scientist with shapefile experience here in our building got a chance to look at your shapefiles. Their responses are below.

From the programmer:
The data does not appear to have been created correctly.
While it will come up in QGIS for example, QGIS cannot georeference the data.
If you for example, do a Layer -> Set CRS of Layer on the file, you get a

"This layer appears to have no projection specification" message.

So you see the lake, or island, or whatever it is, but there is no way for
either QGIS or McIDAS to geolocate the data as is.

From the scientist:
The shapefile provided has an incorrect .prj file. The prj file is just a set of instructions for the software on where to draw the shapefile. If the .prj file does not match the X,Y coordinates of the shapefile dataset, the software will attempt the draw the data, but it will be in an incorrect location.

When the shapefile is displayed the X,Y values are not in geographic coordinates (latitudes and longitudes), however the .prj file says the file is in GCS_WGS geographic coordinates. If I were to guess, the X,Y values are more likely in meters and the shapefile should have a .prj file in UTM projected coordinate system.

I hope this information helps.
Thanks, Jay