Help (no windows with Tools>Manage ADDE or Edit>Preferences)

How do I...?
said.albahri

Help (no windows with Tools>Manage ADDE or Edit>Preferences)

Post by said.albahri »

When I choose Tools ---> Manage ADDE Datasets Mcidas doesn't respond. I tried and restart Mcidas so many times but no effect??
Also when choosing File ---> Preferences face same problem.
Is there any way to resolve this problem?

Appreciating any help
barryr

Re: Help (no windows with Tools>Manage ADDE or Edit>Preferences)

Post by barryr »

Hello,

Thank you for sending the Support Request to the McIDAS Help Desk. We see that you are running McIDAS-V 1.6 on a Windows 8 computer. Please tell us whether you have successfully run McIDAS-V on this computer before. Then complete the instructions below in order to help us diagnose the problems.

First, we would like you to upgrade to McIDAS-V version 1.7u1 (the current version, available here) and then try opening the windows again. That is, click Tools > Manage ADDE Datasets and then click Edit > Preferences. Does it now work (i.e., do the windows appear)?

If upgrading to version 1.7u1 did not resolve the problems, then please exit the McIDAS-V session then start a new session using the -tempuserpath flag (which starts a pristine session using a temporary McIDAS-V folder in order to use all the default settings). To do so, complete the steps below:

1. Exit McIDAS-V.
  2. Open a Command Prompt window.
  3. Run command cd C:\Program Files\McIDAS-V-System
  4. Run command runMcV.bat -tempuserpath to start the McIDAS-V sesison.
  5. Attempt to open the windows again by clicking Tools > Manage ADDE Datasets and then click Edit > Preferences.

We expect this to work fine, but please let us know if it doesn't. If this does work, then it likely points to a problem locally in your McIDAS-V directory.

To help investigate the problem, please exit this -tempuserpath session. We would like you to change your log level to TRACE, which may provide more useful information to your mcidasv.log file. Since you can't get to your User Preferences window in your session, you can change your logging level through the Configuration GUI. To do so, complete the steps below:

1. Exit McIDAS-V.
  2. Return to the Command Prompt window.
  3. Run command cd C:\Program Files\McIDAS-V-System
  4. Run command runMcV-Config (note that there are no spaces) to manually bring up the User Preferences window.
  5. Click the Advanced tab along the left side, then click the Log Level pulldown and change its value to TRACE. (See the Advanced Preferences page in the User's Guide for more information.)
  6. Click the OK button. That will exit the window but save the new Log Level setting.
  7. Start a new McIDAS-V session.
  8. Attempt to open the windows again by clicking Tools > Manage ADDE Datasets and then click Edit > Preferences. If the windows do not appear, send a new Support Request to the McIDAS Help Desk (by clicking Help > Show Support Request Form).

Thank you,
Barry