McIDAS-V LOCAL SERVER RELATED

How do I...?
ghansham

McIDAS-V LOCAL SERVER RELATED

Post by ghansham »

Hi all

I was trying to use the mcidas-v local server capability to access insat3d data via area file interface. It works nicely.
I wrote some code to access that local server via visad api outside mcidas-v to save those datasets as areafiles.
It works nicely.
My question, the moment I change hostname from localhost:8112 or 127.0.0.1:8112 to IPADDRESS:8112 where IPADDRESS is the ip address of the machine where mcidas-v is running, the visad based code stops working. It is basically based on edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas.GetAreaGUI class. I can share that snippet if required. And I am not able to access this server from remote machine as well. My query how it is done? Why it is done so?

Regards
Ghansham
bobc

Re: McIDAS-V LOCAL SERVER RELATED

Post by bobc »

Hi Ghansham -

Posting your code would likely be helpful. I can then forward this to our VisAD programmer to get his thoughts on what may be going on.

Thanks -
Bob Carp
McIDAS Help Desk
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Ok I will post. I feel its something related to the way mcidas-v is running the local server.
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Code snippet attached

In addition to the above query, another query is this, when I try a multiband request:
adde://localhost:8112/imagedata?group=M ... latlon=0.0 82.0&day=2017-09-10&size=2816 2805&time=07:00:00 07:00:00 I &band=3 5
6&unit=RAW&mag=1 1&version=1

I get an areafile, which if I try to open in McV as via "File/Directory" chooser does not generate appropriate result.
I checked the functiontype, the range of the function type (B1,B2,B3), which means it generates a multiband flatfield.
I feel visad AreaAdapter does not allow to select specific band (issue opened on visad github) and thus mcv api as well.

If I try to open it by setting a local adde server by setting data type to mcidas-areafiles, then also it does not work.

Another interesting observation, that output area file size is same for 3 band (TIR1/TIR2/MIR) and 1 band (TIR1) request if the size is set to 2805x2816 (full image size).

regards
Ghansham
Attachments
saveareafile.txt
(4.43 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
bobc

Post by bobc »

Hi Ghamsham -

As for your first post where your VisAD based code stops working, I got a suggestion of checking your firewall settings. From the programmer:

this may be a firewall configuration issue, nothing to do with the code. He's changing from accessing the port on the machine, to attempting to access from the network. That port must be open for ADDE to work.

For example, if I try to connect to the ADDE port on a machine with no ADDE servers (and port 8112 blocked at the firewall), I get flat out refused:

sunshine:Nosto tommyj$ telnet grbmin.ssec.wisc.edu 8112
Trying 128.104.110.244...
telnet: connect to address 128.104.110.244: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

But if I try on a valid ADDE server, while telnet won't do anything, at
least the connection is not refused:

sunshine:Nosto tommyj$ telnet kalpana.ssec.wisc.edu 8112
Trying 128.104.111.241...
telnet: connect to address 128.104.111.241: Operation timed out

Could you give this a look and let us know if that's causing the problem?

Thanks -
Bob