irandom ordering of VIIRS bands in Fields list

How do I...?
hproe

irandom ordering of VIIRS bands in Fields list

Post by hproe »

Hi -

Under the 'Imagery - JPSS' reader in the Fields list the VIIRS bands appear to be somewhat random-ordered. For long M-band lists this is a bit inconvenient. How about having them ordered by the band numbers?

HP
bobc

Re: irandom ordering of VIIRS bands in Fields list

Post by bobc »

Hi HP -

Thanks for mentioning this. I wrote up investigating improvements in the field listing order of Suomi data as Inquiry 2613. There are a couple ordering issues to look at:

1. Some of the quality flag fields are listed at the bottom of the band listing. They could all be organized together. For example, you may see:
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/QF1_VIIRSMBANDSDR
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/M3-SDR_All/Radiance
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/Reflectance
    • ... similar fields for bands 4, 5, 6, ... and then:
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/QF1_Quality
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/QF1_Saturated_Pixel
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/QF1_Missing_Data
    • VIIRS-M3-SDR_All/QF1_Out_of_Range
    Ideally, all of these "M3" fields could be listed together.
  2. McIDAS-V lists out fields (for the most part) in alphabetical order. With CLASS data, there is no leading 0 with single-digit bands, meaning every band that begins with a 1 will be listed before band 2. For example:
    • Band 1
    • Band 11
    • Band 16
    • Band 2
    • Band 3
    • Band 9
    It would be ideal if McIDAS-V could recognize these multi-banded CLASS files and order the bands in chronological order (Band 1 -> Band 16) instead of alphabetically.

If you feel this inquiry doesn't address your concerns, please let me know.

Thanks again for bringing this up -
Bob Carp
hproe

Post by hproe »

Hi Bob -

You have hit the nail, with additional embellishments. I never could understand people that number items in a list without using sufficient leading zeroes.

HP
bobc

Post by bobc »

Thanks for following up, HP. I agree with your sentiment on needing the leading 0's. Another source of this Suomi data (our building's SIPS ftp server) does include the leading 0 in the band listing, so the fields list out like you would expect:

1. SVM band 01
  2. SVM band 02
  3. ...
  4. SVM band 15
  5. SVM band 16

Though the first ordering issue I mentioned in my original response (several of the quality flags are listed at the bottom) is still an issue there.

I'll update you with any progress on this inquiry.

Thanks again -
Bob