Eumetcast AVHRR data

How do I...?
lubomirfranko

Eumetcast AVHRR data

Post by lubomirfranko »

Hello, I have a problem with opening AVHRR data received through Eumetcast service (Global Data Service). Seems like McIDAS-V cannot recognize data structure or so. I have tried to open in through General Files and selecting GRID data, I have also tried to open it selecting ADDE local server and selecting Metop/NOAA AVHRR Level 1B format. I have tried to download same data from NOAA CLASS service and I was easily able to display the data and work with it. Raw data received by Eumetcast is in BZ2 file format, while data from NOAA CLASS is in .SV or .NM format. Any suggestions how to transform the data or open it in McIDAS-V ?

I have attached the sample of file received by Eumetcast to ftp.ssec.wisc.edu/pub/incoming/AVHR_xxx_1B_M01_20171018124003Z_20171018124303Z_N_O_20171018131822Z.bz2

Thank you.
jayh

Re: Eumetcast AVHRR data

Post by jayh »

Hi Lubomir-

Unfortunately my colleague and I have been unable to read this file into McIDAS-V. We tried it in it's zipped format and unzipped, but we are unclear as to what format it is. At this time I will write an inquiry for the programmers to look at it, but I'm not hopeful. http://mcidas.ssec.wisc.edu/inquiry-v/?inquiry=2593

I'm hoping someone on the forums has some more information about this type of file for us.

Thanks, Jay