How to make a perfect customized MAP (1km max error)

How do I...?
francoisborel

How to make a perfect customized MAP (1km max error)

Post by francoisborel »

Good morning Team, good morning everyone

I have something particular to do with McIdas. I'm working on the track of hurricane Maria in my Region (Guadeloupe).

My question : I would like to make, in McIdas, a view exactly like this one attached ...

I see that in the views, i can zoom, go to left or to right, down and up step by step (with cursor directions on my keyboard) but if i try to have this attached map, i'm always too high or to low in latitude or longitude.

I need to custom my map, at the scale of a pixel..

Is there a possibility to do that ?

I thank you for all and sorry again for my dramatic engliish.

Have a nice week

françois
Attachments
Map_to_obtain.png
jayh

Re: How to make a perfect customized MAP (1km max error)

Post by jayh »

Hi Francois-

The finite control isn't possible currently in -V. We have this inquiry to allow a lat/lon corner point to be selected when creating a lat/lon user projection in the Projection manager, inquiry 934. I have added your information to that inquiry as well.

I have tried a few tricks that might work for you (forgive me if you've tried these already). If you zoom into the region you desire as a best guess, then you can save that display as a viewpoint from the Main Display window menu with Projections -> Viewpoints -> Save Current Viewpoint.

Also, if you use the go to address functionality in Projections -> Go To Address and enter Guadeloupe in the pop up window, your display will be centered on Guadeloupe. If the Reproject box is checked, it zooms in closely. When you are zoomed in closely and slowly zoom out, you could get something close.

Also you can use the zooming functions to create your own projection in the Projection Manager found from the main toolbar in Tools -> Projections -> Edit Map Projections.

I hope this information helps. Let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks, Jay
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Good evening Jay,

I'm very, very sorry for this late answer. I didn't received any email notification for your post. Very sorry.

Ok, you give me a good idea. But i have a last question.

How can i display Lattitude / longitude lines (with customized graduation ?) on a view ?

I'm from Guadeloupe, a hurricane lover, and i want to do something about hurricane MARIA, with a map which display the different region which had experienced category 4,3,2,1,TS intensity.

So i made my personal specific track map with radar data and i want to use McIdas to make all this map.

I thank you again. Have a good end week. And sorry :-)

françois
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Just another information. I understand how i can display a track map on a view (with txt), and i know how to display several lines (several txt files so) on one map.

My question is just for lat/long. Perhaps there is a possibility too to put a color in each zonal intensity area (cat 4;3;2;1;TS) on the island ? I have some difficulty to find any way in the documentation. If it is possible, i'm interesting. But the important thing is the dispay of the lat/long lines with greaduating (every 0.5 degrees for example ?)..

Thank you.
françois
jayh

Post by jayh »

Hi Francois-

You can turn on and customize lat/lon lines. From the Legend in the Main Display Window, click on Default Background Maps. This will bring you to the Layer Controls tab for the maps in the Data Explorer. Near the top of window will be the toggle between Maps and Lat/Lon. Click on Lat/Lon. This brings you to the tab you need to turn on the lat/lon lines and customization. You can find more information here in the User's Guide:
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/mcv ... ntrol.html

Bob and I tried a few things to give you ideas on creating a zonal intensity area. I have attached a picture of a few things we demonstrated to see if they might fit your needs.

1. Individually color lat/lon lines based on lat/lon value (yellow and red vertical lines) done with creating multiple map layers.

2. Create colored boxes with user-defined lat/lon upper left and lower right corners with the Drawing Controls. Transparency can be applied.

If either of these two options are what you are looking for, let us know and we can give more instruction.

Thanks, Jay
Attachments
lat_lon_coloring.gif
ghansham

Post by ghansham »

Hi

I have a query. When you say, that you need map at pixel scale.
Does the "pixel", you refer to is the pixel of radar image.
Long time back I wrote some code to zoom to image resolution.
That may be useful.

Kindly clarify meaning of pixel.

Regards
Ghansham
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Hello Jay, Hello Ghansham

JAY :
I'm always very surprised with the quality of your answer in this forum.. You take all the time needed to explain correcly, and to give some ways to the users.. You have an excellent support here ... Thank you for all, i will practice now .. :-)

Ghansham :
To animate my radar pictures i use the HANIS application. I want to make an overlay on the radar animation, in the scale that i joined below (200 km Guadeloupe).

The overlay is the track line on the island (lat/long in a txt track file). So i want to use McIdas to make this track. So i must have the same view in McIdas and on the radar pictures...

Let me know if i'm not clear with my bad english ....
Thank you for all..

Cheers
françois
francoisborel

Post by francoisborel »

Just another thing : i use radar imagery to make and exact track, marging error 5 km, of Maria.
Thank you again.

Regards
françois